I want to connect to wireless network

gibbbsy07 03:21 26 Dec 07

Hi i have just new joined and hope someone can help.

i have an internet connection with talk talk on my home PC, but just recently got my daughter, a lap top for christmass, and want to get her connected wirelessly, i guess i am going to need a router, but what i want to know is can we both connect to the internet at the same time, here is a run down of some of the questions i need answered.

1) do i need to inform my isp, if i want us both connected, what i mean is will i need another user account, so we are both seperate or can she just use mine.
2) or is it better for us both to have seperate user names, so we can keep our computers private?
well thats about it sorry for the big speel, but i didn,t really know how to word it but i wanted to make it as clear as possible, if anyone can help i would really appreciate it thanks.

ambra4 04:27 26 Dec 07

To answer your questions

1 – Do i need to inform my isp, if i want us both connected, what i mean is will i need another user account, so we are both separate or can she just use mine.

No – You do not inform your ISP

No - You do not need another user account

The router will handle all the IP addresses on your local network up to 245 computers 64 wireless and 190 hard wired

Your ISP will only see one (1) IP address which is the IP address of the router gateway

Both computers will have access to the Internet at the same time hard wire or wireless via the router

2 - Or is it better for us both to have separate user names, so we can keep our computers private

There is no need to have separate user names, if the hard drives is not shared the computers cannot access any information on the main computer or the laptop

Just create a share folder on each computer, which will allow you to share files, documents etc via that folder only

gibbbsy07 00:24 28 Dec 07

I probably should have mentioned this before, because i don,t know if this will complicate things.

The thing is my daughter only stays with me every other weekend, so i will try to explain the best i can, her mum has just set up wireless network in her house, because she has just new moved there, and as i said my daughters laptop is just new so her mum has a stert up cd and all thet kind off stuff to install on to the laptop, that she got from her isp, so i,m taking it by this some drivers will be installed on to the laptop.

So this is were it gets complicated or not, i,m hoping you can help,anyway i am with a totaly different isp to what her mum is and i have not got a wireless router, just wired modem but i probably have another spare one to connect to my daughters lap top, but then i will have to install the start up cd i got from my isp a year ago, which means more drivers installed on to the lap top , so my question is , is this possible, and will the lap top except two different user names, or is there another way round this problem, i dont want to change my current isp because it is a good deal, hope you can help thanks.

If i got a wirless router would it make it easier, thanks.

ambra4 02:11 28 Dec 07

“If I got a wireless router would it make it easier”

Yes

All you would have to do is connect your daughter laptop the first time with the correct SSID name and the security code, and after that every time you daughter visit, the laptop will connect to the network using the SSID name that you set up.

The ISP does not mater as your daughter laptop would be set up to use difference wireless SSID names and security codes at her mother home and your home

So if you set the SSID as “56gibbbsy07” with a WAP security code

Her mother might set her SSID as the default “Belkin” with a WEP security cord

The chances of both wireless systems using the same SSID and code is probity 14 million to 1

gibbbsy07 03:26 28 Dec 07

So what would i have to do to get my self set up wirelessly, and what equipment would i need.

And what is a SSID CODE IS THAT DIFFERENT FROM WHAT I GOT AT THE START FROM MY ISP, which was a user name and a password, which gives me my acccess to the internet, if this password had to change, to what you call an SSID CODE THEN WOULD I NOT HAVE TO INFORM MY ISP OF THIS CHANGE, BECAUSE IF I OTHERWISE, DONT WOULD I NOT HAVE DIFFICULTIES IN RECEIVING MY INTERNET.

Also in changing to wireless for me what kind of cost am i looking at, sorry for all the questions Ambra4,but as you can probably quess i haven,t got a clue how wieless works i have only dealt with wired internet, how hard is this change going to be, and thanks for all the help so far.

ambra4 06:53 28 Dec 07

You seems to have a thing about you ISP forget about your ISP all of this has noting to do with your ISP at presently you are connected to your ISP and the internet using a IP address that your ISP have assigned to your modem and computer via there servers.

You are not changing any User Name or Password that your ISP has You seems to have a thing about you ISP forget about your ISP all of this has noting to do with your ISP at presently you are connected to your ISP and the internet using a IP address that your ISP have assigned to your modem and computer via there servers.

You are not changing any User Name or Password that your ISP has assigned to your modem that will allow you access to their system

All the addition equipment is installed behind the modem and the IP address that your ISP have assigned to you, allowing you to set up a private home network

ambra4 06:54 28 Dec 07

Wireless is just a way to remove the wires between the computers and allow you to move around easily with a laptop

How is the modem connected via a USB port or Via an Ethernet cable to the Lan port on the computer?

If via USB you will need to purchase a combine ADSL2/2+ Modem Wireless 54Mbps
Firewall Router sample of the type required.

Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Home Gateway Router

click here

3Com Office Connect Wireless 54Mbps ADSL2/2+ Modem Firewall Router

click here

D-Link Wireless G ADSL2+ Modem Router

click here

Using the above type routers you would remove your present modem and do a total new install

If via an Ethernet cable you can purchase just a wireless router, which you connect to your present modem via the Ethernet cable and using a second connect the PC to port 1 on the router

Linksys Wireless-G 54Mbps Broadband Router

click here

D-Link 54Mbps Wireless Broadband Router

click here

Personal I would go with the combine ADSL2/2+ Modem Wireless 54Mbps
Firewall Router route less equipment to set up

ambra4 07:04 28 Dec 07

The SSID address is the name you want to give your Wireless Network, 452john06 / ezyclip01 etc

By default some wireless router come set-up with the manufacture name as the SSID address 3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc, by changing the default name it would allow you to easily identify your network

The password or security code is to stop other users from access you network and using it to access the internet, copy your files, install spyware etc.

Check out these site before you setup the wireless system could save you a lot of time and headache.

click here

click here

Setting Up The Wireless Security System

Check out these sites before you set-up the Wireless Security System

click here

click here

click here

ambra4 07:33 28 Dec 07

Once you have set up the router wireless with the SSID name the channel # and the

WPA-PSK key would suggest you save the information on a flash drive as the same

SSID name and Channel # and Security Code must be used on All wireless device when

setting then up to access your wireless system

Save setting and log out of router

Laptop Wireless Device Setting

Most laptop computer these days comes with a building wireless card; some required you to switch on the Wireless Radio Antenna via a small slide switch on the laptop

Or using the FN (Function) key you have to hold down the FN key and press the key with a small antenna icon to turn on the wireless card

You can also check that the wireless card is Enable from inside the Network Connection Area

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click-Wireless Area Connection-Enable or Disable as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless system

In the task bar next to the clock click on the Wireless LAN icon in the Notification Area browse for your network SSID name click on it enter same SSID that you have set up on the router

The system will then request the security or password that you enter into the router just copy and paste the information from the flash drive, if you get it wrong the router will not allow the wireless device to connect to the wireless system or allow access to the Internet

Once you have enter all the information correct you should be able to access the network and the Internet

You should also check this posting and make sure that you present setting is correct

click here

ambra4 07:45 28 Dec 07

"sorry for all the questions"

No need to be sorry, that what this forum is for to help others less technical in the working and setting up of computers and other equipment

I believe Bill Gates once said computers are user friendly he must be crazy

gibbbsy07 08:10 28 Dec 07

My modem has an ethernet connection going straight into it from my phone line, then there is a cable that connects from my modem, leading into a usb port on my pc

I currently have mcafee as my security, is this not suitable, can your pc be more prone to viruses when you are wireless.

I know i keep banging on about my isp ambra4, but it,s just when i first had to connect it was a total pain.

I am with talk talk, and i have a user name and a password, i have broadband, but when i connect to the internet, i have to click on dial then what happens is there server has to read my username and password , then when this is confirmed, it then connects me to the internet, this is done in seconds, i always keep my computer turned on so therfore i am nearly always connected, but sometimes for no reason the connection is sometimes dropped, so then i have to redial, but i have set my computer up so if i am not there it will redial automatically , i think i set it so it dials round about a thousand times or something like that, so the reason i am telling you this is because not all internet providers work in this way, and i just want to know if this would change anything,as i said before i am a total novice in the wireless department thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…