I want a cheap new graphics card.....

herc182 11:58 02 Aug 04

Dear all,

I have decided that my graphics card isnt sufficient to play new games. its the ATI radeon 8500LE (with 64mb of RAM).
My processor is 2000XP+ (Athlon) and have 1gb of ram.
I know that the graphics card is the bottleneck.
My mobo only supports AGP 4x.
Ideally i want a graphics card that will (at the very most) cost around £100.

I will upgrade the mobo at a later date (to support agp 8X), but suggestions for this are also welcome.

I have a low budget and want a graphics card that will play games (not with all the graphics on high) but at least on medium to best, and one that i will notice the difference from my current card.

Thanks for your help in advance....
Phil

jonnytub 12:05 02 Aug 04

click here here is a list to help choose from

wednesday 13 12:08 02 Aug 04

I've seen loads under that price. One should be compatible. I had to have one and with installation it was just under and mine was supposed to be expensive so you should pay less. I don't know where you should go though.

jonnytub 12:11 02 Aug 04

your mobo will support 8xagp speed cards but will run them at the 4xagp speed, this will be barely noticeable. 8xagp is backward compatible

herc182 12:16 02 Aug 04

So the step from 4x to 8x is not double? DOes that mean that i can get away with not buying a mobo??

Cheers for your help people

jonnytub 12:21 02 Aug 04

yes you can get away with not buying a new mobo. An 8xspeed card will run at the mobo's speed of agpx4. If you want to run the card at 8xagp you will need a new mobo, however this way it prolongs the mobos lifespan because of the backward compatibility, i.e. when you do eventually upgrade your mobo, the card will still work.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, there is a new standard coming out called pci express, faster than agp and pci. It may be worth holding out for these but it will be a while before the prices start to come down as with everything.

herc182 12:49 02 Aug 04

Thanks jonnytub. DOnt think i will wait until then!

Any other ideas people on graphics cards? maybe from personal experience (as to what specific card is good??)

Cheers

Hey Herc

I have a Radeon 9600 which was cheap as chips off click here I have had no probs with this card and it will run Doom 3 and HL2 which is what i guess u want.

Yes it wont run it like a 9800 pro, but its a 1/3 the price! You can always get ATi Tool and overclock it by about 20% so it will run about the same as a 9600 pro.

I have completed Far Cry at medium to high settings and it ran fine - thats with 512Mb RAM.

I would get the 9600, then when u come to your big upgrade get these new generation cards which will then be on PCI express, thats my plan anyway.

Adam87 15:43 02 Aug 04

Do you have to configure the graphics card to run at AGP 4x?? I tried to run an 8x Graph card in a 4x mobo but it was unstable in Pirates of the carribean. Was this the game or card. I didnt do anthing to the BIOS/card to set it up to run at 4x.

dagwoood 16:26 02 Aug 04

Herc182, further to Galliano's post above, I've just had this click here

When I bought it last week it was a fiver cheaper, but at the price they're asking for it, it's still a good deal, especialy as it has 256MB of on board RAM(grateful to fuzzyone for bringing this card to my attention).

It also has just a heatsink instead of a fan, so there's no extra noise. I just popped it in, installed the drivers, no problem(found the Omega drivers give slightly better benchmark scores).

As to running at x4, out of curiosity I ran 3DMark2011SE at x4(my mobo supports X8)and there was hardly any difference in the score.

Hope this helps, dagwoood.

GaT7 16:27 02 Aug 04

Here is another list click here=, filtered to a minimum of 128Mb RAM, between £50 to £100 & ascending prices. Use the left column variables to filter even more. Clicking on any one will give you several features of that particular card. Also, there's a handy feature to compare the cards with each other - just put a tick in the boxes & press the 'Compare' button. Good luck, G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…