I want to build my own computer

ABI2GAIL 22:23 31 Aug 05

I thought i would take up a new hobby of building my own computer....I have a moniter, printer, keyboard, mouse, and a few other bits and pieces and feel its a waste to get rid of them, so where do I start?Does anyone have any suggestions for me?Is there a web site that is easy to follow with lots of pictures for the novice? or a book?does anyone have any tips for me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

VoG II 22:33 31 Aug 05

Start click here

lixdexik 22:41 31 Aug 05

click here

It will save a bit of time and you just have to add in the bits you have.

Just a thought.

Cheers Lixdexik.

Strawballs 01:23 01 Sep 05

The motherboard bundle from novatech is where I started the first time.

Skills 01:52 01 Sep 05

Plus getting the motherboard bundle all the components will work together.

waterchan 04:08 01 Sep 05

"Is there a web site that is easy to follow with lots of pictures for the novice?"

There's a very comprehensive Build Your PC tutorial at click here. You can buy and download their latest eBook version that contains more details and color photos for US$14.99.

However, always double-check to see your parts are compatible with each other, especially if you are thinking installing the latest high-end technologies like PCI-Express. For example, just before I was going to click the checkout button, I asked in here and was recently advised by someone in this forum that PCI Express graphics cards would only fit in PCI Express slots.

It's a terrible thing when you paid hundreds for something that looked so cool, only to find out it isn't compatible with something else you bought. Athlon CPUs won't be compatible motherboards designed for Pentiums, and vice-versa. DDR2 RAM won't work in your typical home computer motherboard. And graphic cards are either designed for PCI or AGP slots (or the latest PCI Express slots)... and so on. And if in any doubt, be sure to ask.

To avoid compatibility issues, a good idea would be to select your parts and before buying them, post them in an appropriate forum asking if they are all compatible with each other.

961 07:53 01 Sep 05

click here holds your hand

Mavisk 08:16 01 Sep 05

Some video's click here can
get the book click here

dagwoood 10:13 01 Sep 05

A couple of DIY PC kits click here

HTH, dagwoood.

jessej 19:43 01 Sep 05

I can't offer advice on what to do but what I can say is that sometime ago I posted virtually the same question.
With the help and advice I received from this forum I eventually plucked up courage and went for it. The satisfaction I felt when the computer burst into life I cannot put into words to describe it. Suffice to say that at 70 years old, and computer illiterate only three years ago, I needed a new hat several sizes bigger. So go for it, its easier than you may think.

howard60 21:46 01 Sep 05

the starting point is what you want to do with the pc when it is built. There is a world of difference and cost from a simple pc for surfing the web, bit of housekeeping etc., and an all singing dancing gaming machine. I have just put together a pc for the first usage it consists of a socket 939 pci-express motherboard, an AMD 64 socket 939 3000, 512MB of ram pc 3200/400 184 pins having checked that the motherboard ram slots are 184 pins, a 200GByte ide hard drive, a floppy drive with card reader built in, a dvd rw and a pci-express video card with 128 MBytes of memory. The motherboard was supplied with the cables for the floppy drive and the hard drive. Good luck and keep posting so we can follow your progress. I went for the socket 939 and pci-express as these are the latest and not likely to be obsolete for at least a day or two.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…