I want AVG antivirus but.....

mpez 11:24 08 Dec 05

hi
I have NAV2002 and my subscription is up soon,I am not going to go with Norton again, so i think im going to go with AVG, but i dont know if i have to uninstall Norton first and then download avg or vice versa. Also do i have to have another firewall? i have only got the one that goes with Win XP. I have read that Norton can be a pain to get rid of, so if anyone can tell me how to do this simply (LOL) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 11:27 08 Dec 05

Using the Norton SystemWorks cleanup utility (SYMClean)
click here

Download AVG.

Remove Norton.

Run the clean up tool.

Reboot.

Install AVG

PaulB2005 11:28 08 Dec 05

Download AVG first - save it to your hard drive.

Go Offline - i.e. don't connect to the net

Start Menu, Control Panel, Add / Remove Programs, Remove any Norton entries

Reboot and install AVG.

clock 11:32 08 Dec 05

Just done this for a friend! She got AVG on a disc from our local computer supplier (you should be able to download it from the internet). Advice was to uninstall Norton Antivirus, which we did without any trouble. Then download AVG from disc,which she did OK (she's an absolute beginner)then do a scan, which she did. No problems found.

Seemed simple to me, hope you have as much success.

Clock

mpez 11:39 08 Dec 05

thanks guys will give it a go

mpez

mpez 11:59 08 Dec 05

hi

just been on the grisoft site to download avg but all i can see is the 30 days free trial version, or is that all it is? sorry to be a bit thick

mpez

PaulB2005 12:08 08 Dec 05

Free version is click here

mpez 13:10 08 Dec 05

All is well many thanks to you all

mpez

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…