I use AVG Lite and Avast together

the old man 22:32 27 Apr 05

I have noticed recently that people advise not to run 2 av together. Why is that?, as I have not experienced any problems so far, touch wood.

Belatucadrus 22:42 27 Apr 05

Anti virus programs have active shield components and can detect each others virus signatures as viruses, when they do the clashes can be major with go slows and system lock ups. Some AV will live together but most don't and as there is no definitive list of viable combinations, the general advice is don't do it.
Even if they don't crash the system there isn't much point in doubling up Anti virus packages.

Michendi 22:51 27 Apr 05

Having 2 AV programs running simultaneously may or may not create problems. If the AV programs are setup so that they are constantly active, that is they scan all Internet activity, then you may find a drop in performance because they are both doing the same job. It is not common practice to have 2 AV's running but it is probably also not a big deal if you do.

Spyware detectors. I don't know of any spyware utility that is able to pick up everything. It is therefore a good idea to have 2, 3 or even 4 spyware detectors installed and run a different one every day of the week. The one always finds something the others have missed.

Firewalls are different. Under no circumstances should you run 2 Firewalls simultaneously. The reasons are quite complex but are principally centered around the way Firewalls (of the software variety) work. It is almost inevitable that 2 Firewalls will interfere with each other and may make your system unusable or negate the very tasks for which they were installed.

the old man 23:03 27 Apr 05

In the past I have only used avg lite but I had been reading some good reports on this site about avast so I thought in for a penny in for a pound. when I ran avast for the first time it found 2 viruses on my system. I diligently update all av's, adaware, spyware utils on a daily basis. this was a bit of a shock to say the least.

spuds 23:44 27 Apr 05

Worthy of a browse!. click here click here click here

spuds 23:47 27 Apr 05

middle link error-try this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now