I thought Open Office was free...

Pineman100 13:05 13 Oct 08

I just went to download Open Office and I was asked to pay for it. There was a choice of a five-year subscription or some shorter ones.

The cost wasn't much, and I wouldn't mind paying it, but I was surprised. I thought Open Office was free.

Is it possible that I was diverted to a scam website? The one I used (which was top of Google's list) was openoffice(dot)org-suite(dot)com.

cocteau48 13:09 13 Oct 08

click here

open source and most definitely free!

i downloaded it 4 days ago from major geeks, and no mention of money on install it just updated, something doesn't seem right?

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:14 13 Oct 08

There are some dubious sites that try to flog this and other free applications.

G

Sea Urchin 13:23 13 Oct 08

The site you went to was a sponsored site for business use which does have to be paid for. As a rule of thumb when googling for free software downloads it's best to avoid the sponsored sites at the top of the results page, and in this case go to the next one down - openoffice(dot)org

Rahere 13:23 13 Oct 08

click here is the website to use

Belatucadrus 14:06 13 Oct 08

openoffice(dot)org-suite(dot)com is a scam site, check out the disclaimer at the bottom of the page:-

Disclaimer: This website has no affiliation whatsoever with the owner of these software programs,

Also read the reviews on SiteAdvisor, these people may have pulled the wool over the eyes of Google and McAfee, but you aren't the only ones to spot it for the rip off it is. A similar operation is the so called OpalOffice, all they do is sell a download link to OpenOffice.

Pineman100 14:07 13 Oct 08

Thanks everyone. I've now got it free.

As Sea Urchin suggests, I shall be a bit careful about sponsored links in future.

Thanks again for your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…