I think my vista rejects plug and play

chaztait 18:26 08 Sep 07

Hi i dont know what is wrong with my vista. Evertime i connect my ipod or camera, or the internal card reader i just installed it comes up with 3 options. Look For Driver, Ask again later, or dont show this message again. So basically what im saying is eveytime i plug a usb into it it wont show up, they get power so it aint a bad connectin. They just wont show up under "my computer".

Even my pen drive give me the options.

How can i fix this?

thanxs

Clapton is God 20:18 08 Sep 07

Not sure if it's the same in Vista but in XP you would go to Administrative Tools; Services.

Then, from the list of services, scroll down to Plug and Play and make sure the Startup Type is set to Automatic.

If not, double click on it and change

Babou 22:18 09 Sep 07

You want management services.

Start button -> run, type in services.msc, click OK.

Scroll down to SSDP Discovery and double click.

Make sure status is Started.

You have to do this from the admin account, needless to say!

Babou 22:25 09 Sep 07

I don't know where my head's at - I was working on SSDP the other day and my fingers just typed it in!

Scroll down to Plug and Play - make sure the status is Started and startup type is Automatic.

chaztait 18:08 10 Sep 07

hey, its status is Started and startup is automatic.

just to let yous know that vista dont have run on the start menu...well mines never. Had to go to search and type "run" to get it lol.

so if thats ok what could it be ?

chaztait 20:45 11 Sep 07

anyone else having this problem ?

chaztait 19:08 14 Sep 07

a take that as a no then lol?

rdave13 19:20 14 Sep 07

Dont know if this helps, click here

pauleboy 13:08 24 Sep 07

I've got something similar...
I have just had a lot of new components (PCI Express motherboard, hard drive (so Windows XP Home and now when I plug in a card reader the "New Hardware Found" wizard licks in. I cannot see the card reader or photos - all this was automatic with my old set up and the card reader manual says that drivers are not required so what is causing this??

pauleboy 15:07 28 Sep 07

Hi

Mesh have got my card reader working by doing the following:

Go to the following registry setting

Hkey_Local_Machine \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Current Version

Once you click on current version in the right hand windows you should find and entry for DevicePath right click it and select modify and enter C:\Windows\Inf and click ok.

May be worth a try

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…