I think I've lost my email address? Help Please..t

bof:) 11:10 03 Aug 03

Hi All,

many moons ago, when I first went on dialup modem, I joined Breathe and set up an email address on the classicfm site.

I've received emails about the new Breathe dialer being setup and taken over by another company.

I've not used the breathe dialer since I joined BT and then NTL BB. But I have been able to collect my emails on the classicfm site just fine. That is until last night.

I now get a message saying check cacount and server details are correct (which they are) and error no:0800CCC0D.

I did think that I would not have to install the Breathe dialer because of using BB & that I'd always been able to collect emails from classicfm site using both BT and NTL.

Was I wrong? If so, have I now lost this email address for good?

Any thoughts please,

Many thanks,

Mike

Forum Editor 11:20 03 Aug 03

mailbox (and not a webmail account) with Classic FM then you will be able to collect mail from it, no matter which ISP you use. POP3 mailservers will accept an inbound request from any ISP.

What you cannot do is connect via one ISP and try to use another ISP's smtp server to send outbound mail - you must send via the smtp server that belongs to your ISP, although you can of course send outbound mail with any return address you like.

I theory, once you have an email address with someone you have it for life - always assuming that the company or organisation stays in business, and operates mailservers of course.

Big Elf 11:33 03 Aug 03

Similar to click here but no solution yet.

bof:) 11:51 03 Aug 03

Hi FE, I do have a pop3 mail box.

Nothing appears to have altered in any of the settings I have for EO6 in the 'Accounts>Mail> properties' settings at all.

I suppose that it could be that the classicfm.net server is down?

But I found it odd that the day after I recived the last email from Breathe I can no longe access this email account. I understand that Breathe did or do run the email server for classicfm (it was set up by the radio station many years ago).

Breathe have handed over the running of some of their concerns to another company (hence the emails I received) but they want you to download the new 'Breathe Dialer'. I thought being BB and NTL I would not need to do this.

Big Elf, thanks for the help. I've looked on the site you gave but I'm not sure if its the same thing???

Thanks for the help, Mike

Big Elf 11:56 03 Aug 03

This is probably me being paranoid but was the email from 'admin' at Breathe and did it mention something like this?

"I would like to inform you about important information regarding your
email address. This email address will be expiring.
Please read attachment for details."

jazzypop 11:59 03 Aug 03

Are you running Norton antivirus? See MS's explanation for a possible cause at click here

Note that the 0800CCC0D error means 'cannot contact server'

Forum Editor 12:21 03 Aug 03

suggests it sounds as if the mailbox may have been closed. Did you receive a warning from Breathe about it?

Downloading a dialer isn't necessarily something that would affect your access to a mailbox.....unless someone else now controls that side of things, and they have disabled the box. You are of course correct in saying that you don't need a dialer for a broadband connection.

Big Elf 12:26 03 Aug 03

Sorry. I should have made myself clearer. Emails with that content and a message.zip attachment are the Mimail worm and I wondered whether this is part of the payload.

xania 09:41 04 Aug 03

You can pick up any pop3 e-mail at this URL click here

bof:) 11:11 04 Aug 03

Hi All,

many thanks for all of you assistance with this problem.

the message from Breathe did mention that your emails may be affected but it kept going on about dial up and the Breathe dialer. Thats why I thought it did not apply to BB.

I've tried today and my emails have all come through, so I'm assuming it was a fault at the classicfm end.

FE I was under the impression rightly or wrongly that the Breathe Dialer was for people who used Breathe to get onto the net. I also thought it may have overridden my NTL settings.

Big Elf, there were no attachments with the emails sent by Breathe just a redirection to the website of the people why have taken over form them.

jazzypop, not using NAV, it was causing problems on my PC so now use another virus checker.

xania, thanks for the website, I've added it to my favorites list as a backup...is it free to register?

Thanks again for all of your time and help, it restores my trust in human nature.

Mike

xania 15:55 04 Aug 03

Its free to all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac