I think it's time to upgrade, advice appreciated

Fred the flour grader 20:06 25 Aug 05

Hello,
I have an Advent computer which I purchased in 1999.
It's running win 98se with pentium 3 450mhz processor.
I have already upgraded the RAM to 320 mb from the original 64mb and with the help of this forum a few years ago added a second hard drive of 80gb to the original 6.4gb. I have also added a cd writer and changed the monitor to a flat panel along with a new infra-red mouse and keyboard, scanner and printer.
I just find the heart of the system is old and needs a upgrade. (ie) processor/mobo.

My son likes to play games on it and is now finding it hard to due to minimum requirements etc. I would also like to stick a DVD re-writer in.
Any advice on the route I should take is much appreciated in advance....Fred.

Jackcoms 20:13 25 Aug 05

This may sound harsh - but why throw good money after bad?

Take the plunge and buy a brand new XP machine with all the bells and whistles.

You can keep adding bits to your existing set up but, at the end of the day, it is still Win 98 which is no longer supported by Microsoft (or will soon not be supported by them).

Fred the flour grader 20:20 25 Aug 05

The thing is Jackcoms, I am not sure what to do. I certainly don't want to go spending a grand like I did on this to see it really dated within two years.
I can understand the 98 issue though as I will be forced to change it due to the end of the support of the 98 version.

Jackcoms 20:28 25 Aug 05

"like I did on this to see it really dated within two years"

Harsh again, I'm afraid. We're talking about computers and they date - rapidly.

Since Win 98 there's been Win 2000, Win ME and Win XP in (what?) about 5 years. MS are due to (allegedly) bring out Windows Vista next year.

How long do you want to wait??

Fred the flour grader 20:40 25 Aug 05

I think you misunderstood what I meant. The processor speeds and hard drives went into warp speed,it seemed like every week Intel and AMD were bringing out faster chips and hard drive capacity was flying up. I understand these will keep increasing but I am lost as to what to look for.
What would you or anybody else in here recommend. if I have to go down the buy a new machine route, who would you recommend buying it from?

gudgulf 20:40 25 Aug 05

With Windows 98 it might be nore a case of new hardware not supporting it rather than lack of support from Microsoft.Lots of people still use 98 and there is a wealth of information on the web for diy support(not to mention on this forum!)

One of my neighbours is getting a lot of grief from the kids because the main pc is on 98 and wont support their MP3 players/latest phones etc.

And then there is the gaming side of things, often the cause of the demise of otherwise good computers!....maybe you need to consider a new base unit,that way you could transfer the new hard drive and cd writer,Keyboard,mouse,monitor printer etc.

It would help if you told us what games your son is wanting to play and the model of your pc to see if it is feasible to simply upgrade it.And also bear in mind that what you get for your cash is considerably more today than when you bought your machine so it might not be as expensive as you think to go down the new base unit route.

Jackcoms 20:45 25 Aug 05

"What would you or anybody else in here recommend. if I have to go down the buy a new machine"

click here

'Nuff said!

PC Bilbo 21:48 25 Aug 05

Advancement in computer technology is not linear and no one not even Bill Gates has so far predicted the future correctly.Whatever you buy will be superseded by a newer version within a month or two.

Therefore most important thing is to list what you want your computer to do and get one that is tailored
to that.

Faster processor speeds and fast multi-texture graphics really only make a major difference to gamers running the latest games.

If you've had your computer since 1999 it would be more practicable to get a modern one that will run XP.Replacement parts will eventually prove more difficult expensive to source and not all new accesories will supprt Win 98

As a guide if you don't want to build yourself have a look at PCA's Top 10 Superbudget PC's from around £500 including monitor, XP Home and some office software.These are based on AMD 64 or Intel Pentium 4 processors. You can always spec less monitor and add more memory and better graphics.If you go the AMD route go for a 939 skt processor as the 754 skt flavour will probably get dropped in the next 12 months.

dan11 22:11 25 Aug 05

It may be worth looking at a barebones system. You know the inside of a computer and you have a lot of usable parts. The hard drives, flat panel along with a new infra-red mouse and keyboard, possibly your optical drives.

A new case, mobo, cpu and memory for £155.click here. If you were to still use 98se, this would speed it up no end. Put in a dvdrw with software for around £29. click here. Others click here

It would even run XP with ease.

Whether it would keep up with the kids, they never do.:-(

lester1 00:24 26 Aug 05

Fred the flour grinder

I was in the should I upgrade situation a few months ago.

Old system circa 1999 not handling my new digital pictures very well etc.

So I commisioned a builder to give me a system that would handle all of my current needs.

Athlon 64 +3000 160GB HD, 512Mb memory, Multi format DVD writer, TFT Moniter, etc.

XP came as standard and I must say I am impressed with the improvement over 98.

In your position I would go with dan11 and get a Bare Bones system and incorporate the hardware you already have. You will not regret it.

Andsome 08:31 26 Aug 05

Definitely don't even think about a brand name. You will get and pay for so called free software that you will never need. If you get any problems you will probably be kept waiting on expensive helplines, then taken through more expensive telephone time trying to track the problem. After that you will probably be sent a component and asked to fit it yourself. No good asking them to come out as promised when you bought the machine. Find a local shop and visit during a busy time, say Saturday. Mingle with other customers and ask about the reputation of the shop. Then return at a quieter time and discuss your requirements fully with the proprietor. You will get a machine to exactly match your requirements. Any problems, just pop back down the road and get personal service. You can't beat it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…