I think i broke my laptop!

ynohtna 08:05 03 Mar 09

Morning team!about 2 weeks ago i downloaded IE8 onto my dated Acer Aspire 1605LC (Windows XP). No dramas. This week i received an update from Norton prompting me to upgrade my Norton 360 to Norton 360 2.0... i did so... no dramas. Now my laptop / web browser has become decididly slow... a swift Goggle search revealed that Norton 360 vers 2.0 doesnt work well with IE8... No probs i thought... i'll un-install IE8, go back to IE7 and all will be well. I visited the Microsoft website and began following the instructions (destructions?!). Step 1 required me to uninstall XP service pack 3, Step 2 required me to uninstall IE8, Step 3 required me to re-install IE7... all using the install / uninstall wizards on screen...easy i thought... . So, Step 1.. uninstall service pack 3... followed the wizard.. it started, it finished, pc re-started.... logged back in to follow step 2 only to find my browser is totally unusable.... (im guessing due to the missing SP3?)... I'm not the most technically minded...... anyone have any clues how i can get back on track even if it means keeping IE8... at least with that i still had a (slow) browser... im hoping i dont have to return to factory settings...
Cheers,
Tony

mooly 08:18 03 Mar 09

There's a message in all the above... a bit late for Tony though... use a disc image backup ( Acronis ? ) then things like this are a non problem. Hope you can sort it without a reinstall...

Diodorus Siculus 08:19 03 Mar 09

Have you tried system restore to the last date before installation of IE8?

ynohtna 08:25 03 Mar 09

Diodorus Siculus,
I have no idea how to do a system restore.... care to share! it could be the answer..!
T

oldbeefer2 08:43 03 Mar 09

Start, Programs, Accesories, System Tools, click System Restore. Then choose a point before you had the problems.

Diodorus Siculus 08:43 03 Mar 09

click here for a guide.

oldbeefer2 08:44 03 Mar 09

IE8 seemed to make mt XP PC dreadfully slow. Uninstalled it back to IE7 and all OK again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…