I think I am in right forum??

gudda96 13:22 31 Oct 06

Hi There

2 questions which I hope fit into this forum

1) My daughter has just had Telewest BB installed but during the cd installation, the screen said " your 366 processor will work but the minimum should be 500". Do you think it will work.

2) I am about to buy a laptop to replace my desktop and I have BT BB, am I right in thinking that I will have to make sure that LT has "wireless" installed and if so, I just buy a router and that fits into my present BT telephone socket (which has a splitter in it at present for my phone) but I can take LT downstairs.

De Marcus™ 13:50 31 Oct 06

1) Yes it should work although a USB connection will place an overhead on the cpu, connecting via a lan cable would be better.

2) Yes, you should make sure your laptop has a wireless card, built in is preferable but a pcmcia or USB one will do if you see a laptop you like without built in wireless. Any router you buy for a BT should be ADSL, the setup should be performed with a direct cable connection and not the wireless card, the vast majority of ADSL routers come with the required cable to do this. Your laptop should come with an ethernet port to enabe direct connection to the router for initial setup (check specs just in case). The ADSL router will, as you suggest, plug straight into the your telephone socket via a filter (again, supplied with most ADSL routers).

gudda96 14:10 31 Oct 06

De Marcus

So you are saying that if I have BT BB, which I do, when I buy the router, it must be compatible with BT as I have a ADSL Modem?

So if/when I have the router, I unplug my BT modem/cable, and do I plug the router directly into my BT socket?

De Marcus™ 14:16 31 Oct 06

Not quite, you can buy any ADSL router so long as it's ADSL compatible (BT broadband uses ADSL, Cable uses DSL), the only real difference being that ADSL routers have a built in modem.

With regard to connecting the router, the router must be plugged into a tiny little filter (supplied in the box) which then plugs into your telephone socket.

Strawballs 11:55 01 Nov 06

Make sure that your modem/router will run WPA security and not just WEP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…