I 'suspect' AVG is the culprit - can you help pls?

AngeTheHippy 10:31 12 Sep 09

Morning Chaps
For the past couple of weeks, I've been encountering problems downloading my email. It's an intermittant problem, and I notice my CPU usage is at 100% when it happens.

I have 8 pop mail inboxes.

I use Thunderbird v.2.0.0.2.3 as my email client.

My Laptop has Vista OS and 2Gb ram.

I open my email client and messages start to download.

It's mostly the first inbox on the list that the downloading gets stuck on - it just keeps on downloading, and doesn't stop. If I click the 'download messages' icon, it says 'The Folder is being processed. Wait until it is finished to download messages'.

Even though I close Thunderbird, my CPU is still racing at 100%. The only way to stop it is by a restart of the laptop. I can download all other inboxes without a problem.

Additionally, when I look at resource monitor, the top entry - avgemc.exe - it's using 93% (an average) CPU resources.

Thanks

Ange

Mr Mistoffelees 10:38 12 Sep 09

Can you disable inbound email scanning and then try the problematic account to see if it is AVG causing the problem? You can then scan afterwards to make sure you don't acquire any nasties.

AngeTheHippy 14:30 12 Sep 09

thanks, sorry been out. OK then - just done as you suggested, then restarted T/bird. All is working as it should, except no incoming mail scanner. CPU running at average 10-20%.

Just turned back on 'monitor incoming mail' and still CPU isn't racing! Just cannot understand this. It certainly seems to be an intermittant problem. It didn't play up at all yesterday...

xx

Mr Mistoffelees 18:30 12 Sep 09

Intermittent faults are such a pain in the backside :-(

Sea Urchin 18:56 12 Sep 09

AV email scanners are renowned for causing intermittent problems. If you disable the AVG email scanner it shouldn't be a problem - you are still protected by the resident shield.

birdface 19:43 12 Sep 09

Will the resident shield also protect for Virus's in E-mails and also protect from the same in Messenger programs.
I use AVG and would be slightly worried about turning the e-mail scanner off.
But may do in the future if I have any problems.

AngeTheHippy 19:50 12 Sep 09

ummm --- what's the resident shield? Is it part of AVG or T/Bird??

A
xx

birdface 19:59 12 Sep 09

Part of AVG.

AngeTheHippy 08:58 14 Sep 09

I also added my query to the AVG official form. I've received a reply from AVG, alas too late to save my particular install of AVG - have ditched it in favour of Avast, which seems to be recommended quite highly. This is the reply I got from AVG ::

Hi,
your description looks like description of one bug in avgemc.exe when parsing email with specific/unique sequence of chars causing deadlock in the process. This bug will be fixed in one of next program updates. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences caused by this issue.

Please disable AVG email scanner temporarily to avoid this situation. Suspicious attachments please save and right-click on them to choose "Scan by AVG" with shell-extension test. Or they should be tested by AVG Resident Shield automatically, when you will try to run them.

Thanks
***************AVG Team

I feel vindicated, and that my suspicions were correct this time!!

Thank you for reading.

Ange
xx

crosstrainer 09:13 14 Sep 09

It is an avg issue, but I have stated here in the past (and been slated for it too) You get what you do or do not pay for.

Get yourself a decent AV package, (it;s only around £30 a year)

And supplement it with free versions of malwarebytes, asquared and ccleaner.

AngeTheHippy 09:18 14 Sep 09

thanks for replying. I've uninstalled AVG and installed Avast as it seems to be receiving quite good reviews. Also installed CCleaner - that picked up rather alot on unused files too so (after making backups) deleted those.

I've used AVG free for YEARS crosstrainer, and never encountered anything like this.

Ange
xx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…