I received an interesting email this evening

Forum Editor 00:24 29 Dec 04

from a forum member who was nervous about posting a thread about what to him/her seemed a 'simple' problem - one that other forum members might think too elementary, and not warranting a response when there were other, more important problems to deal with.

I reassured this forum member that the opposite was true - that we were all beginners at some point, and no doubt got stuck over something that now, with the benefit of more experience, we might term 'elementary'. We're here to provide help - no matter how elementary the problem, and this email acted as a reminder that sometimes some of us might come across as being a tad impatient with newcomers to the forum. On occasion I've noticed that some people have a tendency to snigger among themselves when someone posts what seems to them to be a 'silly' question, or when someone misses something that, to an experienced computer user, is blindingly obvious.

I'm pointing a finger at nobody in particular, but I hope that perhaps all of us might take a moment to remember what it was like when we first sat in front of a keyboard and monitor and hadn't a clue what went on under the bonnet. Then perhaps we can try to be extra helpful to those among us who need our help the most.

Many thanks.

xania 00:32 29 Dec 04

There's no such thing as a stupid question - and noine of us know it all!

kev.Ifty 00:56 29 Dec 04

I have noticed one or two post's where the person has said something like " I know I'm thick" or something along the lines of "I'm not as good as you guys".

We can all be self deprecating. Some more than others ;-). But i personally try to encourage people not to think that way about themselves.

Me? I know nothing about computers except for the bits and pieces I've learnt in the past year or two. If any of my knowledge is of any use to someone, then i am 'chuffed' to be able to pass that on!!

The thing i found most surprising about being a PCA Member was that people have E-Mailed 'ME' to ask questions because they didn't want to post in the forum!!

If a person reading this now feels intimidated by all the technical stuff, don't be cos i ain't got a clue wot all this 'bios, ide, slaves and masters' stuff is either.It's all a bit strange if you ask me. Now three Card draw on Solitaire, that's complex.

Get posting U Newbies

Kev. Best Wishes

Djohn 00:59 29 Dec 04

I've thought of saying something along those lines a few times of late but then remembered its not my place to say so.

There are a lot of quite technical questions being asked in the forum now and we have the members who can answer them but we still have plenty of room and time for the most basic of questions.

For those that are new to Computers, there are no simple or basic questions, they are all difficult. So please ask them, it is the only way you will learn.

We have hundreds of members in the forum who are only too pleased to help and stay with you until your question is answered in a way that you will understand. Please don't be shy if someone gives an answer that sounds a bit too difficult to follow, just post back to the thread saying so and they will break it down into sections for you to follow.

For every new member that is feeling unsure of asking a question, there are ten that are waiting to see a thread that they can reply to and help with, they too were in your position only a short while back and are eager to help.

The only sad thing about this thread is the fact it needed to be brought to our attention in the first place.

barryoneoff.co.uk 01:20 29 Dec 04

more 'silly' questions on this forum (especially the web design section) than I care to remember, since becoming an internet user two and a half years ago.

I am not very good with 'techie' jargon from tutorials, so have relied mainly on the people here. I have learned so much from my 'silly' questions, I now have the audacity to actually answer a few myself!

If you are one of the people the FE mentions, and really feel embarrassed about your query, remember, no one can see you. They cant point at you and say 'there's the bloke who asks the daft questions'.

So carry on asking, I bet there are plenty of others looking for the answer you need.

Smegs 01:25 29 Dec 04

We ALL have to start somewhere FE.

I hope you told them to post the thread. Which I think you have.

Henmin 02:50 29 Dec 04

I remember a wise old Guru - Teacher - once telling me, 'He/she who ask questions gains knowledge. He who dosen't, is deprived of knowledge.

Thank you FORUM.

User-312386 03:21 29 Dec 04

I remember when i first started here

I did not know what a HDD (hard disc drive) was

I asked and was told very nicely

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:31 29 Dec 04

Hopefully we can encourage people to learn how to help themselves.

By ask a "silly question" but get a proper answer.

/\0/\

steve0 12:05 29 Dec 04

I've used this forum so many times over the years - some simple questions and some less so. Fortunately they have all been met with loads of help. I've looked at some other forums and if you are not one of the techies you can get all kinds of sarcastic abuse. So thanks for this forum.

Buchan 35 12:17 29 Dec 04

I like this forum for the genuine wish to help that comes across. I`m still in the category of thinking `thank heavens nobody is going to point a finger at me and snigger`
A good reminder FE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…