I REALLY NEED HELP

buckknife69 02:51 06 Mar 09

MY TOSHIBA LAPTOP WILL NOT LET ME OPEN ANYTHING THE HAS TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO I WAS USING PROGRAMS LIKE FULL TILT POKER FOR INSTANCE, IT IS A DOWNLOADABLE PROGRAM THAT STAYS ON YOUR DESKTOP AND CONNECTS THROUGH THE INTERNET WHEN OPENED. ALL OF A SUDDEN WHEN I WENT TO OPEN IT ONE DAY IT DISPLAYED A MESSAGE SAYING THAT IT COULD NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET TO CHECK INTERNET CONNECTIONS. I AM HOWEVER CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. ANY OTHER PROGRAM I TRY TO DOWNLOAD THAT REQUIRES CONNECTING TO THE INTERNET WILL NOT START, AND DISPLAYS A MESSAGE SAYING "NO INTERNET CONNECTION" CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE PLEASE HELP. I WOULD APPRECIATE IT.

Dragon_Heart 03:17 06 Mar 09

For a start don't use upper case .... it looks like your shouting !

Do you have a firewall and / or security software ?

This may have reset itself (?) to block all programmes that want to use the net.

Look for a 'Program Permissions' list in your security software. When you have altered the desired permissions do a FULL virus scan of you PC.

buckknife69 05:42 06 Mar 09

NO, MY FIREWALL IS OFF, AND MY SECURITY SOFTWARE IS OFF, AND WITH EVERYTHING OFF, IT STILL WILL NOT WORK, THAT WAS THE FIRST THING I LOOKED AT BECAUSE IT SEEMS AS IF SOME SECURITY PROGRAM IS BLOCKING IT, BUT YES, I DID CHECK THOSE, AND UNFORTUNATELY THAT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE RESPONSE.

Pine Man 09:57 06 Mar 09

Have you checked to see if the 'Caps Lock' light is on or off.

jack 10:39 06 Mar 09

Forum etiquette says

Do not use capital[uppercase] as already m mentioned.

Also if you read down the forum you will see each post has a short description of the problem.

'I REALLY NEED HELP ' is not a description.

Follow the rules and you will get better served.
Simplez

howard64 11:45 06 Mar 09

have you tried a different modem? I have in the past had everything indicating that I was connected to the net but the modem had failed. If nothing connects it is sugesting to me that you are not connected.

buckknife69 11:53 06 Mar 09

Well first off excuse me for the caps.. second I appreciate the help, and last but not least I think needing help is a perfectly good title, well because, I NEED HELP... lol.. well let me put it this way, I am on the pc right now typing this, and I can log onto my msn messenger, so whatever it is, it is not blocking ALL connections. Any thoughts?

howard64 12:02 06 Mar 09

then it is a firewall problem - you may think your firewall is off but if you have a router this has a firewall. Also windows itself has a firewall which sometimes is switched off by say zone alarm but sometimes is not. I had one pc with zone alarm supposedly turned off but it was not and it would not therefore let me alter any settings until I reinstalled it and then set permissions etc.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:03 06 Mar 09

download superantispyware (free version) from click here Update and run it. Delete ALL it finds.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…