And I really mean "slow"

shaduf 12:13 04 Nov 09

ASUS Pundit, 3Ghz Pentium 4, 1 GB Memory, Windows XP, 250 GB Hard Drive (80 Gb Free), Sound Max Integrated Audio, Radeon 9100 Integrated.

Problem: Running slow when playing music with Windows Media Player. By slow, I mean crawling so that the music is unrecognisable. The progress bar at the bottom of the WMP screen is also slow and a 2 minute song takes about 10 minutes.

When Windows starts or closes down the “chimes” are similarly affected and start and close times are very lengthy. Defragged, Virus Checked and ran CCleaner etc.

Normal use of the computer seems OK but I don’t do much that needs speed – mainly Word, Excel and surfing the net.

Is it time to reload XP and start again?

User-1229748 13:15 04 Nov 09

did you scan for malware with malwarebytes and superantispyware?if you have an ubuntu live cd you could pop that in to see if the sound is also slow with ubuntu.malwarebytes and superantispywaclick here

shaduf 20:11 05 Nov 09

Thanks smackheadz tried them but unfortunately nothing was found to be causing the problem.
I have removed and replaced the Soundmax integrated sound driver tonight but with no result.
Very strange. The Windows opening and closing down jingles sound like J Arthur Rank on his big gong.
Any other ideas anyone?

Les28 22:11 05 Nov 09

Just a few ideas, you don't have a sound effects software with your Max Integrated Audio do you, my Realtek onboard sound has a console and can alter the speed of playback in the way you describe and accidently did so on one occasion.. Have you had a look in Control Panel, Sounds icon, Hardware tab, Troubleshoot button, or maybe an icon for the Max Integrated in Control Panel.

Have you tried the sound tab in dxdiag, that's Start, Run type dxdiag and click OK, click on Test Direct sound button on Sound tab.

In WMP if you click on the arrow under the word Now Playing and look at Enhancements, Play speed settings are they OK.

Is this a recent thing, or has it gradually slowed down, just wondering how many startup programs you have ticked in msconfig startup tab that may be making demands on system resources and how many processes running in task managers processes tab, but if your pc is fast enough normally maybe these aren't a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5