I realise they are spam and delete them but...

pj123 11:35 26 Apr 06

what are these emails that have nothing in them?

What purpose do they serve?

Always say "undisclosed recipients" as the To and some very strange From addresses.

rawprawn 11:42 26 Apr 06

God only knows,I have been getting some with nothing in and some with what look like short meaningless passages from obscure books. I delete them and bounce them with Mailwasher. I know I shouldn't really bounce them, but it gives me a certain feeling of satisfaction.

johnnyrocker 11:47 26 Apr 06

bouncing only serves to increase the junk traffic on the net and serves no purpose you will prob get it back saying undeliverable.?

johnny.

Jackcoms 11:52 26 Apr 06

"I delete them and bounce them with Mailwasher. I know I shouldn't really bounce them, but it gives me a certain feeling of satisfaction"

I'm with rawprawn on this one.

I do exactly the same and feel exactly the same way. ;-))

pj123 12:05 26 Apr 06

I think if you bounce them it proves your email address is active. They can then sell them on to lots of other spammers and you will then start getting even more spam.

Jackcoms 12:14 26 Apr 06

"I think if you bounce them it proves your email address is active"

On the contrary. I quote from Mailwasher's FAQ:

"The bounce looks exactly like it has come from your ISP and not from your address. If the spammer used a fake address, then your bounce message is itself bounced back to the postmaster (local option) or lost in cyber space (remote option) so you don't receive the bounced bounce email".

rawprawn 12:23 26 Apr 06

I have never had one returned yet.I changed my email address and give the new one only to friends, I program Mailwasher to collect/check both when I boot up then I close it(spam only seems to be there in the morning), so that I can play, but Outlook only picks up the new address and is running all day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…