I ran easycleaner before installing service pack 2

SANAP 19:52 09 Dec 05

I had a spare day to day so decided to clean up my xp pro pc using easy cleaner, I ran the duplictate files utility and then clicked the delete button. Bad move as I now cant use the restore facility and I cant load service pack 2. I am gutted. When I clicked on Outlook I had to insert the office 2003 sb cd as well.

I just want to undo what that easy cleaner did!!

Help!

sanap

Trackrat 20:03 09 Dec 05

If you have a XP disc, try a repair.
Instructions at this link.
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:04 09 Dec 05

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

If option one or two works then load SP2

SANAP 21:28 09 Dec 05

thanks for replies, I had to do some work and watch WC draw. I tried sfc and it asked for SP1 XP PRO CD which I dont have, in fact I dont think I have any disc for xp pro. I checked all the bits I got from DELL and no sign of a WINDOWS XP disc anywhere. I am still stumped. I dont want to lose my settings.

VoG II 21:31 09 Dec 05

What happened when you tried to use System Restore?

By the way, EasyCleaner = A Very Bad Idea, but you know that now.

SANAP 21:46 09 Dec 05

" I tried sfc and it asked for SP1 XP PRO CD to be inserted, which I don't have, in fact I don't think I have any of these CD's or they are on a DELL disc that I am not aware of."

I now know what I did wrong, I assumed all the files shown as duplictates were duplicates but you have to know the duplicate. This was published in the Windows XP magazine and it said " You can safely delete these duplicates!" I did get a warning but as I was putting on SP2 I thought I was ok. I am doing a bit of reading and searching. There must be some recovery option on the DELL discs.

sanap

VoG II 21:49 09 Dec 05

Yes, but "What happened when you tried to use System Restore?"

She 21:58 09 Dec 05

Dell have recently stopped providing CD's with their computers. Instead you get a piece of cardboard saying:-
"Your new computer does not require an operating system CD or drivers CD. If you ever have need to re-install your software use one of the following methods:- System restore OR Dell PC Restore (see Owners Manual). For problems visit support.dell.com/pcrt."

SANAP 22:32 09 Dec 05

Found the OS cd, I knew it was there, actually had fallen behind a desk!! Will try SFC now.

I did do a post earlier but dont know what happened to it.

sanap

SANAP 01:49 10 Dec 05

I have given up, will start again tmorrow evening. I have got as far as the repair bit but mow it is asking for Service Pack 1 cd!! I dont have it.

I am on old pc now as I cant get back on the other one, ie it will not boot, says NTLDR missing or something like that.

sanap

thanks for replies

system restore did nothing, i think i wiped it with my easy cleaner

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:09 10 Dec 05

NTLDR Missing
If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password
when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…