I Pad -Location cannot be found

john bunyan 18:06 05 Sep 13

I have an iPad4, W7,IE10. Just changed from a Belkin wireless router to a Netgear N750. Maybe coincidentally, two problems have appeared on the iPad. Firstly the Google Maps for iPag app has updated and at first showed the whole of the USA whereas my home was the default opening page. The little yellow manikin has gone so not sure how to see street view. Then both on Apple and Google Maps, my location cannot be found even though all the permissions are on. I did a hard reset to check. When I try to use "Find my iPad" on a laptop it says "Device On line, cannot locate". It was working before the router change. I wonder if the router firewall is causing it? I looked at the router log - horrified to see many DOS attacks foiled, but that may be normal. Have read all I can in Google, nothing works so the auto location find is not working. Any views? (Desktop PC Ethernet, Lappy, iPad WAP2).Do not want to disturb router unless necessary.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:25 05 Sep 13

*Firstly the Google Maps for iPag app has updated and at first showed the whole of the USA whereas my home was the default opening page. Then both on Apple and Google Maps, my location cannot be found even though all the permissions are on. I*

Does look like your Ipad is connected to the router

Look in Ipad wireless settings to find your network and enter your routers network key into the ipad

john bunyan 20:49 05 Sep 13

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Yes the iPad is on the wireless network - as a separate item, not yet a true network that can see other devices. The wireless channel is secure. Not sure what you mean by "network Key" - The Wi fi Network is Netgear08 but I do not see a slot for a "key" _ I did put in the WPA2 password when setting up

john bunyan 21:36 05 Sep 13

I have now checked and the correct WPA2 key was in otherwise it would not connect - I am using it now to post this.

Woolwell 22:00 05 Sep 13

You don't get the little yellow manikin on the Google Maps app. You have to hold down on the location you want, drop a pin, press on the dropped pin and then you get a street view.

Your location problems are almost certainly due to the change of router. You would not have changed the iPad settings but you can check. Settings - Privacy - Location Services should be on and if you expand that you can check for Maps and Google Maps. Maps opens at where it thinks you are. If the wifi connection doesn't allow it or your ISP details have change then there could be a problem.

john bunyan 22:43 05 Sep 13

WOOLWELL

Thanks . All the location settings are on. Many people report the same problem in Google. Have tried all suggestions found there. I will try a phone call to Apple and ask for on line Help from Nretgear. I will also try taking t to another address.

john bunyan 00:10 06 Sep 13

Dropping a pin works on Apple maps but not, for me, in Google maps app. Mar try delete -reinstall but I think it is to do with the "cannot determine location" issue. A small panel appears if I try tapping or holding. Pin dropping works in Apple maps.

Woolwell 11:45 06 Sep 13

It isn't a pin as in Apple Maps. Touch and hold on the area where you want to see street view. A small panel then appears, touch on that and street view for that area is available.

Sorry to take a long time to reply but I've had major problems with my main pc most likely an SSD failure but hoping it is not motherboard. The pc now starts but is slow. Currently using my small laptop and iPad.

Woolwell 11:45 06 Sep 13

It isn't a pin as in Apple Maps. Touch and hold on the area where you want to see street view. A small panel then appears, touch on that and street view for that area is available.

Sorry to take a long time to reply but I've had major problems with my main pc most likely an SSD failure but hoping it is not motherboard. The pc now starts but is slow. Currently using my small laptop and iPad.

Woolwell 11:49 06 Sep 13

Sorry about the double post but IE10 locked up on W8 on this site only.

john bunyan 14:59 06 Sep 13

Woolwell

Thanks - hope you PC issues are solved. I will try to spend more time on this soon, but have been busy today. Incidentally, with the new router, my iPad speedtest.net result fell to about 1.5mbps, when co located with a Toshiba laptop which got 7.8 (Desktop, wired was 9mbps). Took a lot of searching in many forums but solved it by (in Router advanced mode) disabling WMM (whatever that means), but leaving QoS checked. It must be that the iPad wireless card does not like, or work with WMM. Back to 7.5 now on the iPad.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple