I need Your Help

littlestar 13:16 08 May 06

Hi, I have had a PC for about 3 years now and my knowledge is OK but i am a complete novice regarding Routers, and my Mum has just bought her first Laptop, I think it's a HP, all i know is that it is Wire-Less Enabled, she is signed up with AOL and at the moment she is using a cable to access the Web, My Question is Can anyone recommend a good trustworthy Router, and also will i have to uninstall the modem from the Laptop before installing the new Router ?

Many Thanks

rsinbad 14:03 08 May 06

Not sure but i think aol can be picky on the make of router. There seems to be a degree of difficulty when setting up a wireless network with aol; but others will help you through that.

Have a look click here for aol setup.

regards

rsinbad 14:07 08 May 06

I use Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Modem Router and can recomend it,also think this is compatible with Aol.

ade.h 15:42 08 May 06

"....will I have to uninstall the modem from the Laptop before installing the new Router?"

Yes, if you are referring to the external USB modem. Its software and drivers should be uninstalled cleanly. This is not because of hardware conflicts - routers do not install, only connect, and thus are not seen by the clients as such as their LAN adapters are link between the two. It is primarily to prevent Windows getting confused about where its internet connection should come from.

Some of our forum members use Belkin, Netgear and D-Link routers with AOL, but it does have some unique configuration requirements.

littlestar 20:13 08 May 06

Thanks everyone for you advice, much appreciated.

ade.h,
About uninstalling the drivers, is it easy to reinstall them if any problems should arise.

Many Thanks

ade.h 20:42 08 May 06

Yes. Though I cannot envisage a reason why you might need to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…