I need to start in safe mode

Rhuddlan 10:52 30 Apr 03

I did post a thread before about starting in safe mode, but i'm afriad I have no patience and can't wait, it was only about an hour ago, but still no one has given me the answer I want I have forgotton how to start in safe mode, i'm sure it was F8 but it doesn't seem to be, i'm running Win XP Home, thanks.

AndySD 10:55 30 Apr 03

1.Start the computer. The computer begins processing a set of instructions known as the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). What is displayed depends on the BIOS manufacturer. Some computers display a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS, while others may not display any indication that this process is happening.

2. As soon as the BIOS has finished loading, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Continue to do so until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.

NOTE: If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers will generate a "keyboard error" message. Please restart and try again.

3. Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, scroll to and select the Safe mode menu item, and then press Enter.

temp003 10:56 30 Apr 03

When the computer starts, after POST, get your finger ready at the key F8. Watch out for a message at the bottom of the screen which says Press F8 for Advanced Options (can't remember the exact wording). Press F8 immediately, then select Safe Mode from the list.

pj123 10:56 30 Apr 03

I am not sure about XP, but, yes it is generally F8. Switch on and keep hitting F8 and you should eventually get a menu with about 6 choices on it.

It does take a while as the PC tends to go through the POST first.

Rhuddlan 11:04 30 Apr 03

It doesn't say press F8 at the bottom of the screen when loading the BIOS, it says press F2 to enter setup or F12 to network boot.

AndySD 11:08 30 Apr 03

ignore them for now. F2 is for entering the Bios/Setup and you dont need F12 its a system Admin thing.

MAJ 11:10 30 Apr 03

Try holding down the Ctrl key while booting, Rhuddlan, F8, as the guys have said, is the usual way, but Ctrl might work for you, it's usually for Win98 though.

temp003 11:13 30 Apr 03

When you say "loading the BIOS", where it says at the bottom, "press F2 to enter setup or F12 for network boot", that is what we call POST (Power On Self Test).

After this has finished, start pressing F8 repeatedly. Never mind whether another message appears asking you to press F8 for Advanced Options. Just press F8 repeatedly until you get a list of options. Then choose one of the Safe Modes.

Rhuddlan 11:15 30 Apr 03

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm in work at present and will try tonight after 6pm, I will let you all know how I get on.

dblspace 11:50 30 Apr 03

I run xp home but never seen any instructions on the screen for going into safe or bios mode.
I use "delete" to get into bios and f5 or f8 to get into "safe mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…