I need some sound advice

suburban train 12:27 06 Feb 03

I currently have a Packard Bell PC running Windows XP pro.

When i come to play soldier of fortune the graphics play fine but i have no sound, ive checked and re checked to see if everything is plugged and it is as im playing music now.

Ive tryed messing around with the audio settings in tbe game but still no joy.

Can anyone help? Should i purchase a new sound card if so which sound cards are good this is the following info on my machine:

Multimedia
Intel(r) 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller

Main Circuit Board
Board: GIGABYTE i810 1.3x
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 3.0W 07/10/2001

Will most sounds fit i think i have two spare slots on the back of my machine.

Cheers

Djohn 12:37 06 Feb 03

Try the sound settings in the audio software itself rather than the game software.

Double click on the speaker Icon in the sys. tray and choose Options/properties, and in the window that comes up make sure all the little boxes are ticked. J.

suburban train 12:40 06 Feb 03

everthing is ticked and at full but still no sound.

Can you recommend a good sound around £30 to £60?

Djohn 12:43 06 Feb 03

I use a soundblaster 5.1 and they do several models at different price ranges, starting at £25-00, all are excellent.

suburban train 12:47 06 Feb 03

just one thing about the soundcards

How will the use of soundcards improve my PC? and sound will the sound be alot better and would i be able to connect to hi-fi to improve sound when playing DVD or games also will it slow down the performance of my PC will i have to upgrade anything as i have 900MHZ celeron and 126MB RAM

cheers

Djohn 12:58 06 Feb 03

In general a separate card will produce better sound, but saying that the onboard sound of the newer M/Boards is very good.

Yes you can connect to Hi-Fi.

No, it will not slow the performance and you will not need to upgrade anything else in your PC.

My main concern though, after re-reading your first post, is the fact that you can hear sound from your CD's but not from the game, if you still wish to upgrade to a new card, I think you need to solve this problem first, Otherwise you may still have the same problem. J.

Djohn 13:00 06 Feb 03

PS. it might be a good idea to remove your sound drivers and re-install, they should be on the M/Board CD. J

suburban train 13:16 06 Feb 03

thanks for the advice would it be best to go to device manager uninstall and then let windows xp find the drivers itself or go to add hardware menu?

Djohn 13:22 06 Feb 03

Try add/remove first, then if it's not there, device manager uninstall,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…