I need a printer

peper1 22:01 15 Jan 06

I have just purchased my first computer and I would be grateful if anyone is able to recommend a decent printer for around £100. It needs to be able to print letters etc and the occasional photo.

Totally-braindead 22:05 15 Jan 06

Look at the PCA charts in the magazine and see if theres one there that meets your budget. I personally like Epson and would be looking at one of them if I was looking for a new printer, mainly because you can use cheap compatible cartridges, hence the running costs are low.

mammak 22:51 15 Jan 06

I agree with Totally-braindead (He's not by the way Lol)Epson is a good choice I myself have had a one or two of this brand and have had no problems with them to date good luck with your choice in printers, Kind Reagrds Mammak.

mammak 22:53 15 Jan 06

"Kind Regards" even sorry.

Bagsey 23:25 15 Jan 06

Epson Photo R240 at PC World.
Check out their website and order from the web as they are cheaper. However if you live near a PC World store order on the web but ask to collect from store then you get the web price. Refuse the printer cable as you will get one for a third of the price from most other places. eg Maplins. Get ink from click here at £0.99 per cartridge. That beats PC World £12.00 I think :-))

wee eddie 23:33 15 Jan 06

They are coming on very heavy with the Alternative Ink Market and may be attempting to build machines that are not able to use 3rd Party supplies.

I use Canon myself but hold no particular brief for their new machines.

One piece of advice though.

Buy a Printer that has individual tanks for each colour of ink.

chriscross72 09:44 16 Jan 06

Canon pixma ip3000 faultless in my opinion.....separate ink tanks....prints with 2 feeds for ordinary paper and photo paper....prints onto blank cd and dvd discs too all for around £80

Totally-braindead 16:06 16 Jan 06

I haven't seen the Canon pixma ip3000 myself but from what I remember it got good reviews. PCAs best buy was the Epson Stylus Photo D88 at £69. Amazon are doing it for a touch under £60 inc P&P click here .If it was for photos specifically I'd maybe consider the Epson R200 click here touch over £60. If you very seldom print photos then the cheapest thing to get is a laser, admitadly it only prints black and white but if you print a lot of letters you'll save a fortune click here just as an example.

BigL 20:54 16 Jan 06

Try the Epson CX6600 MFD from Argos (The well known computer store) £99.99 while stocks last. Scans, prints and copies. Must be a bargain!

keith-236785 21:12 16 Jan 06

argos are doing a Brother DCP-110c printer/scanner/copier at £50, seperate ink tanks, front loading paper tray, quick and not too noisy. ink costs £15 for a black and £7.99 each for the colours so not too bad i suppose.

i am impressed with the quality of the black/colour printing but the photos seem slightly washed out (i never have had any luck printing photos, i let Boots do mine) the brother also has a media card reader so you can print straight from a camera card if you want.

all in all, the best £50 i have spent lately apart from the wifes christmas pressy lol.

ps. this printer is also supported in linux (download from brother website) though its a pain in the ass to set up (im a linux newby) but i have managed to do it. drivers are included for windows and Mac.

keith-236785 09:50 17 Jan 06

oops, sorry....update to my above post, the printer is now £79.99 it was on special offer but that must now have finished.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…