I need a new PSU...?

Whaty 14:58 06 Jan 04

I have a 4 year old Mesh PC and the PSU packed up in a puff of smoke at the weekend. There was / is no apparent reason why this happened, I had a quick look inside the PSU and could clearly see a burnt area on the PCB and the fuse hadn't blown... anyway, I need a new one. I've checked a couple of local computer shops and been offered the following: 300W Mercury @ £19, a 300W Jeantec @ £25 and a 350W Master(somethingoranother - looked cheap) @ £19. Are any of these any good or should I go for something else.? Will these be compatable with my computer.? Is there anything I need to watch out for.?

Basic details are:
P3 450
Gigabyte MB
Current PSU 200W

Any help would be appreciated..

Diemmess 15:09 06 Jan 04

Your old PSU probably spent most of its recent time running on the limit.
Without going in to the internet dealer's huge range, I would go for 300 or even 350 watts and make it plain to the shop keeper that it is wanted for your particular computer,

There shouldn't be any physical difference as long as your mobo is the now usual ATX style. ......... Swapping the dead for the living (with power lead removed from the socket) is a matter of about 4 screws and all the power leads to the mobo and drives etc.

PA28 15:39 06 Jan 04

Agree with Diemmess - 200w is a bit, shall we say, minimal. The only difference I found when choosing a new PSU was the number of fans (= amount of noise as well as cooling?) and the absence of a power switch rocker on some. You don't need the P4 version with a seperate processor supply if you're staying with your P3.

Whaty 12:35 07 Jan 04

Thanks for the advice, think I'll go for the 300W Mercury and see what happens..?

GibsonSt19 14:58 07 Jan 04

I'd definately have a look at eBuyer.com

They've got some pretty cheap PSU's available. I recently purchased the 550w one for 20 squids.

PA28 19:22 07 Jan 04

Plan ahead. The price difference between a 300w and a 450-550w is not that great and it'll cover you whatever you choose to install. I've got a 550w in my machine now which cost less than £30 from a local dealer and I know it'll see me through a few upgrades to come.

PA28 19:23 07 Jan 04

PS - if you're down near Rye in East Sussex, I've a 300w you can have for nought!

Whaty 08:03 08 Jan 04

Thank you PA28, I live in Manchester so unfortunately I can't take you up on your offer. I take your point about planning ahead, the problem I've had is that the 'cheaper' PSU's I've looked at seem flimsy and, well, cheap..! I've heard that a poor PSU will not provide a steady supply to the MB, drives etc and therefore the overall performance and reliability of the machine will suffer.? Thanks again for all the reply's..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…