I need help with a virus

Morgan 11:06 05 Jul 04

I think I've got the same virus I had about a year ago. After I've been online for a couple of minutes, it comes up with a window saying 'system error - windows has got to shut down - please save your files' and then you've got about 1 min before it shuts down.

My AVG anti-vrus is up to date and I quickly managed to do download another update this morning before it shut down, but I'm guessing that I need another XP patch and a stinger?

Would someone be able to post something up that I can download and take home?

Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 11:09 05 Jul 04

click here - any good?

Morgan 12:12 05 Jul 04

How do I know which worm it is? Do I download all of them? Last time I had to download a Microsoft XP patch.

VoG II 12:17 05 Jul 04

Run Stinger click here

Get all Windows critical updates.

Morgan 12:22 05 Jul 04

Thanks for that, but I can't stay online long enough to download the relevant patches.

VoG II 12:25 05 Jul 04

Start, Run, type in

shutdown -a

and click OK. That should stop it shutting down.

dhiraj 12:40 05 Jul 04

It very typical of blaster worm infestation. I was affected a few months ago but was fortunate enough to download the removal tool before being disconnected from internet. You can download the blaster-worm removal tool from microsoft.com website to a disk using some other computer. You would then need to install that tool onto your machine. Just enter 'blaster worm' in the search box on MS website to locate the necessary downloads. hope it's useful to you.

Morgan 13:39 05 Jul 04

Thanks very much for your help. I've already done this myself a few months ago so I'm guessing that I've got another variant of the previous virus?

dhiraj 14:38 05 Jul 04

Did you try running the AVG system scan to find out which virus is it?

Morgan 14:48 05 Jul 04

I didn't have time to run it completely this morning before I left for work, but I ran it for 20 mins and it didn't find anything. I think I'll need finish doing this before installing a patch. I update my anti virus on a daily basis so I'm annoyed that the same thing has come back.

Morgan 14:59 05 Jul 04

I've just checked my posting from 12/8/03 when I last got this virus and it was called Lovsan -
This worm exploits the DCOM RPC vulnerability in Microsoft Windows Nt,2000 and XP

It comes up with exactly the same message as last time and acts in the same way:
'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…