I need help Scanning Stamps

jonpep 19:00 27 Jun 06

I am using Epson Perfection 2480 Photo Scanner, with windows xp with 512, ram and I want to scan some stamps, they come out with all the perferations cut off and not showing the whole stamp.
Is there a way of doing this ? Please help if you can.
kindest regards

Wak 19:12 27 Jun 06

Would putting them on a coloured background help to emphasise the perforations???

jonpep 19:22 27 Jun 06

No not realy no perforations at all come out, it appears that the stamp has been cut square.

Ikelos 19:44 27 Jun 06

for myself I would photgraph them, decent camera macro lens and your away.....

pj123 19:54 27 Jun 06

I have just tried scanning a couple of stamps with my Epson 3170 scanner.

Perfect, no problem at all.

What do you have your scanner set up for.

Mine is set up as Professional Mode. 24 bit colour, 300dpi and I use Paint Shop Pro to do the scan.

Are you using the "marching ants" to cover the whole image after doing a preview scan? I always leave a little bit of extra space around the image!

jonpep 10:36 28 Jun 06

What do you mean by " marching ants" and how do you leave extra around the stamp as all mine come out scanned with all the edges cut off?

€dstowe 10:46 28 Jun 06

Perhaps your scanner software is arranged such that it will not scan postage stamps - just like some scanners will not scan bank notes.

ventanas 10:47 28 Jun 06

There should be an option in the software to draw a box around the area you want to scan. This results in an area of blinking dots, which has for years had the affectionate title of marching ants.

pj123 10:57 28 Jun 06

Thanks ventanas.

Once you have the box around the area you want to scan you can adjust it using the mouse.

Hold the mouse over one of the sides until you get a double headed arrow and move it to where you want it to be.

rmcqua 13:31 28 Jun 06

I think your problem is almost certainly that the "marching ants" (otherwise known as a "marquee"), which shows up when you do a pre-scan and then lets you select the area you want to fully scan, is set too tight. The marquee auto sets itself to areas of significantly different shade/tone, in your case this probably occurs on the inner side of the perforations.
Just drag the green marquee borders outwards and upwards a bit before you perform the full scan, and all should be well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…