I need help - have I melted my laptop?

rachwelian 12:12 26 Oct 06

I'd like to ask for some help, if I may.

My laptop died last night and I'm having trouble bringing it back to life.

I bought it last December in the boxing day sale at PC World, and I've treated it lovingly ever since.

Recently, it's been restarting itself randomly, usually when I'm using photoshop.

However, last night it completely went crazy on me. It restarted and then when it got half way through loading (after it displays all the technical information about the machine), it says there's been a recent change in hardware/software and I need to choose from the following:

start windows normally
start windows with most recent settings
start in safe mode

I've tried all three of these options, but nothing is working. It comes up with the big windows logo and the progress bar, and then restarts before the log-in screen appears.

I also sometimes get a message about inserting a boot disk to the A drive. Well, it's a laptop and I don't have an A drive!

Some technical information about the machine:

I'm not sure what all this means, because I just copied it off the bottom of the machine this morning (I know how to find the technical information once the thing is loaded up...)

Patriot 3070 (that's the make and model I think)
14.1" TFT
Via C31.2GHZ
256MB
40GB
Combo
Li-ion
Winxp

That's all the technical information I have.

I don't know if this is relevant, but the lead that connects the laptop to the main is broken. It doesn't always show up as being connected (the light on the laptop goes out), and the metal adaptor that plugs into the laptop gets really hot (I burned my leg on it last night). Could that have anything to do with it?

Does anyone know what could be wrong? Any suggestions would be MOST appreciated, and if more information is needed, let me know and I'll see what I can find out.

Thank you in advance.

Rachael.

bjh 12:18 26 Oct 06

If it is getting hot enough to burn a leg, it is too hot (and potentially dangerous).

It should be under warranty, shouldn't it?

Make sure you have copies of all your personal documents, and take it back to PC World, that'd be my advice.

Technotiger 12:25 26 Oct 06

Hi, I agree with bjh!

rachwelian 12:25 26 Oct 06

I'd be okay with buying a new lead for it, but I'd really like to know if there's anything I can do to salvage the actual machine itself. It's kinda got everything on it...

I know I should back stuff up, but I haven't. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it was irrepreble, I'd just cry a (lot).

VoG II 12:26 26 Oct 06

I agree with bjh and Technotiger :o)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:28 26 Oct 06

"I bought it last December in the boxing day sale at PC World"

There should be a 1 year guarentee click here
so my first thought is take it back.

However a few repairs to the file system may restore it.

Find the manual and remove refit the hard drive probably a screw under neath , slide out and slide back in refit the screw. this should check the contacts try and restart the machins.

Do you have a XP CD?
1. Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.
2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.For additional information about how to use the Recovery Console in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314058 (click here) Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
If this procedure does not work, repeat it and use the fixboot command in step 5 instead of the chkdsk /r command.

rachwelian 12:40 26 Oct 06

I think there may be a CD, I'm not sure... I'll go and hunt out everything I can find tonight, and try.

If not, I guess I'll be going back to PC World. I've never taken anything back before though...

What should I say when I go to PC world?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:51 26 Oct 06

Be nice

1. Tell them when you bought it (have the reciept if possible)

2. What's wrong with it.

3. That you would like it repaired if possible (so you get all your data back) or replaced.

rachwelian 12:57 26 Oct 06

I'm always nice. Just a little shy, that's all.

1. I bought it on boxing day last year (with receipt)

2. It's not loading. When I turn it on, it gets half way through and then crashes again.

3. I would please like it repaired if possible, or if not, I would like a replacement. Please.

Is that it?

Maybe I should take my Mum with me or something... Nut sure why though, 'cause I'm the only technological minded one in the family.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:14 26 Oct 06

Yes thats it.

Be firm, stand up for your rights, but don't lose your temper,

remember to take the mains cable and adaptor with it and tell them about the light and the fact that it gets very hot.

Good luck (although you shouldn't need it)

:0)

jolorna 13:16 26 Oct 06

if the lead is damaged forget to take the lead back when you go

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…