I Need Help! Desperately.

stuntmaster 17:31 26 Jul 03

My Windows XP Machine Was Working fine, i shutdown, this went ok.

then i switch on it boots gets to windows then logs in as the only user there Me but it has not fully logged in, if you press Ctrl + alt + del and hit the users tab my user is not displayed and certain programs will not load as my settings are not loaded and so on.

Can you help me! anyone?

Much appreciated as i do not want a reformat.

PC Spec:
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
256Mb Ram
40gb HDD
S3 Prosvage + utilities graphics card with 16mb memory

Thankyou.

Ben

VoG II 17:33 26 Jul 03

Will it let you run System Restore? If so, try that.

stuntmaster 17:55 26 Jul 03

Nope it simply freezes as its trying to load setting of my sytem restore points

Big Elf 18:03 26 Jul 03

Is it possible that the user profile file has been corrupted? This may help click here or then again it may not.

jonoace 18:19 26 Jul 03

sounds you have had corrupt file that logs you in to windows . do you have the cd rom for xp installer put cd into drive then boot up (you need to boot with cd rom support not your hard drive if possable disamble hard drive in bios set up then reboot with the cd in drive

xp will give you three options use the 3rd option which recovery console press this option and follow the xp instructions this may take a few mins this should repair the damaged file.

stuntmaster 19:33 26 Jul 03

i will try that Big Elf, but Jonoace you method does not work as i have no cd as all my stuff Drivers, windows etc is on a hidden partition, i just simply insert a rescue disk and it re-installs everything automatically.

But...

i clicked on start>logoff>switch users and only mine WAS displayed so i clicked on it again and to my suprise it Logged ON perfectly but its not over yet as i have to try the reboot to see if it still loggs on at startup.

if it does now work then thankyou for all your help if not then back to the drawing board.

Ben

Big Elf 19:50 26 Jul 03

Unfortunately the solution suggested by Powerless in the link I posted won't help as the XP CD is required.

stuntmaster 20:15 26 Jul 03

i reeboted and no effect still no logon but after a good minuite or so it logged on but it took quite q while it seems that it is delayed for some reason? looks like a trip to Pc world or something cos it looks impossible to fix.

Ben

TOMMO01 21:03 26 Jul 03

Could be similar to mine.

I log on, programs are inactive for about a minute. Seems to be Norton 2002 doing a quick scan.

I have learnt to live with it.

T0SH 21:04 26 Jul 03

Boot into safe mode by tapping on the F8 key at bootup, chose safe mode from the menu, log on to the default administrator account the default password is do not type anything just leave it blank hit enter ,this should allow you to boot into XP from there you will be able to create a new user account for yourself this can create other issues with access to your old user settings but there are work arounds for th

stuntmaster 09:51 27 Jul 03

I do not have norton 2002. but when i right click on my computer then click on properties to bring up my system info it takes about a minuite or so to bring up but when it is displyed it has logged me in! Strange? any suggestions?

Thanks

Ben.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…