I need help with the connection speed & performanc

LocalJen 09:20 28 Apr 09

My computer is: AMD Athlon (™) Processor, 1.25 GHz, 256 MB of RAM and I am using Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3. My C drive shows Used space:17.9 GB and Free space: 56.5 GB, and so I have plenty of free space.
I am using ‘Avast 4.8 Home Edition’ anti virus protection. My I.S.P. is Sky (which I switched to from Tiscali a couple of months ago.)

What I need is help with regards to the general performance and length of time it takes from switching on my pc, to it becoming usable.

6 minutes after switching on I always get a message in the bottom right hand corner telling my that there is no firewall turned on, and it says to click the box to rectify this. I click the box, and 3 minutes later it shows all security as being turned on, and by this time my pc has become usable.

I then click on the Internet Explorer which takes a further 3 minutes to even open - but just as a frozen white screen….’connecting’, and it takes a further 1½ minutes to become usable. So, from switching my pc on, to being able to access the Internet takes 13 ½ minutes in total. This is driving me mad!

I have de-fragmented and also cleaned the Registry using ‘Eusing Registry Cleaner’. I regularly run spyware checks with Spybot, as well as running an Avast check regularly, with no problems showing up. I have uninstalled any unused programmes, and haven’t got any excess ‘add-ons’ in Internet explorer, and I don’t have any extra tool bars either.

I have been into ‘System Properties’ and in ‘Advanced’ I have clicked to adjust for best performance.

I also often get a message telling me that Windows Virtual Memory Minimum is too low and it is being fixed. I have selected the ‘System Managed Size Option’ in ‘Computer Properties’ ‘Advanced’, but I still get the warning message!

Even when everything is fully connected and running my computer is painfully slow, and freezes a lot when clicking on applications.

I would be grateful for any help at all on what my problem could be, and help on solving it please…..before I go insane! lol.

LocalJen 09:42 28 Apr 09

Thnx Jock1e I'll try that later....I work full time so won't get chance until this evening. I thought that because I had a lot of free space that the memory wasn't the problem? What memory size would you suggest for me?

LocalJen 09:43 28 Apr 09

Yes, it is an oldish pc! Taskmanager - thats another thing!....I can't always get it up when I press Ctrl, Alt and delete....any ideas or is that all linked with same prob?

TonyM 10:00 28 Apr 09

Did this machine always have XP on it, or have you upgraded from another OS ?

I think 256Mb of RAM is quoted as the absolute minimum for running XP , but as you are finding it is painfully slow - upgrade to 1Gb (or even 2Gb, as memory is so cheap these days) and you will see an almost miraculous transformation

LocalJen 10:06 28 Apr 09

Thanks TonyM, it looks like that is what my problem is then doesn't it! I bought the pc 2nd hand from a local I.T/ company, so I have no idea whether it has always had XP on it or not. I will contact the guy I bought it from and see about increasing the memory.......your term 'miraculous transformation' has convinced me lol..... Thanks guys for all your advice!

LocalJen 15:21 11 May 09

Just to say thank you for the advise, I have had the memory increased by 2GB and like you say TonyM....the transformation is certainly Miraculous! Cheers again to you both for all your advise. Jen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac