I NEED HELP BUYING A LAPTOP!

emmalogie 12:10 12 May 08

Hi, I want to buy a laptop and this is what I will mainly use it for:

Internet browsing (Lots of space for downloading etc)
Uploading images/videos (Again plently of space!)
I would need it to have a basic microsoft offfice package too.
I would like it to be very portable (ie would ike to use the internet whilst in a park etc)
I would also love it to be light so I can carry it about on a day out/holiday.
It would be handy to have a good battery life and fast internet connection if possible!

I hope someone can help me in choosing the correct one. Please tell me if I am asking too much and let me know any ideas?

I have a budget of £500-£600.

Thank you for your time!

davidprc 13:12 12 May 08

Have a look at click here.

chub_tor 13:21 12 May 08

click here is a website for comparing laptops.

You should also consider reliability, my experience has been that Toshiba, HP/Compaq and Lenovo have always been reliable for me. They each have models with large hard drives, some have optional features such as built in webcams that you might find useful and firewire input if you are using a video camera.

15.4" screens are lighter and more portable than 17" and can have longer battery life.

You don't need Microsoft Office as you can download Open Office for free and it is compatible.

Internet connection speed has nothing to do with the laptop it will depend on your ISP package and if you are on broadband how far you are from the local exchange.

If you want to buy from a High Street Store then PC World/Currys is as good as any and you can go in and try them out. Tesco sell a good range but finding helpful staff is not easy. The majority of my laptop purchases have been from ebuyer.com and I have never had a problem with them. Good luck.

Jim_F 16:10 12 May 08

Best advice is to go into Currys or PC World and have a look.

The new-look shiny screens can be a bit of a pain to use outside.

Battery life is limited especially on the dual cores - a lot of laptops come with around 20,000 MAH batteries - so its wise to see if you can source a higher capacity such as 48,000 at a realistic price. If you need more than 3 hours on batteries that a spare or power saving measures could be needed (like switching off a core in bios).

For your use you will be OK with integrated graphics which keeps power consumption down but the downside is that you use system memory so the 1gb that is standard reduces by 128mb before you start. For editing video 2gb would be better. Most come with around 120gb HD which should be fine although may suppliers #give# you a recovery partition which can take out 20gb.

Also please be wary that the same model numbers often come with different processor/memory/HDD/screen size combinations so be careful to check the spec if you're comparing sites.

A lot of laptops come pre-loaded with an office demo which you can register at a price but you may find a better deal on Amazon or ebuyer.

I've used Dell, Toshiba and Samsung - I've seen more failures on the Toshiba machines but perhaps they got the most use !

emmalogie 09:16 13 May 08

Thanks everyone, this is indeed very helpful and I will get looking ASAP

Joe R 17:04 13 May 08

emmalogie,

should be perfect for your needs. click here

emmalogie 09:58 14 May 08

Thanks Joe R, looks good, although I've found a rather cheap Acer Aspire 7720 Gemstone that looks great, what do you think? Anyone?

click here

Please let me know! Emma

Joe R 11:08 14 May 08

emmalogie,

that laptop looks like a really good spec, But, do you really want a reconditioned one?

emmalogie 12:15 14 May 08

Erm I thought it seemed OK, are there a lot of problems with reconditioned ones then Joe R?

Joe R 12:55 14 May 08

emmalogie,

after having another look at this model, there seems to be nothing wrong apart from a few marks on the base.

Refurbished or reconditioned models, usually only have a three to six months warranty, but this has a full one.

Good luck on whatever choice you make.

Regards Joe.

emmalogie 13:07 14 May 08

JoeR - thanks for the tip, I'm going to go for the Acer, wish me luck! he he

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5