I need help after virus clean up.

alan2273 19:48 14 Dec 07

A quick resume.
I built a computer for a charity about 3 years ago, and it has run great till a couple of days ago.
He asked me to have a look at it and it had a virus on it, (as he had not renewed his virus protection)
The virus was Worm bv/zz, which changes doc extensions to scr extensions.
I installed AVG and it found 19 infected word documents, so I deleted all the files, updtaed AVG and went home.
After reding about this worm I noticed that when antivirus software deletes corrupted files it also deletes SCVHOST and Spool.exe.
Today he rang me to say it will not boot into Windows.
I know I can do an XP repair, but is there a quicker way to put these missing .EXE back into the operating system.

MAJ 19:55 14 Dec 07

Do you mean SVCHOST.EXE and SPOOLSV.EXE. The other two you mention are viruses.

alan2273 06:29 15 Dec 07

Do you mean SVCHOST.EXE and SPOOLSV.EXE. The other two you mention are viruses.
Yes that is what I meant.

€dstowe 07:34 15 Dec 07

When this is sorted out, tell your charity to maintain a regular backup of their system.

MAJ 09:36 15 Dec 07

You could replace the files using the Recovery Console, if it is those two files that are causing the PC not to boot to Windows, but I'm not sure if that's the problem. A repair install might be needed in any case. If you want to try replacing them using the Recovery Console, it would do no harm. Put the XP CD in the CD Drive and load the Recovery Console click here and type (assuming D: is the CD drive):

expand D:\i386\Spoolsv.ex_ C:\WINDOWS\system32

and press Return. Then type:

expand D:\i386\Svchost.ex_ C:\WINDOWS\system32

and Press Return.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…