I need to format C - Advice required

murgle 19:19 27 May 04

I have been experiencing some problems with my computer freezing when playing games and playing clips which seems to have got worse. I am also having problem with other software and have decided to do a format C.

I have 2 120gb hard drives in my PC. The last time I did a format C I copied all my files to my second hardrive and also back up files. After I formated and reinstalled windows it was unable to see any of the files on my second drive. I am now scared to do this incase I loose all my files again.

If I disconnect the second drive before I re format will this protect the files or do I run the same risk of not being able to see them after reformating and re connecting the drive?

Any advise is appreciated on this and also is there a website that gives step by step instruction on how to do a safe format c.

Thank you.

Graham ® 19:26 27 May 04
  Graham ® 19:33 27 May 04

That's a little dated, but many of the principles apply to later systems.

Graham ® 19:36 27 May 04

Here's one for XP click here

woodchip 19:44 27 May 04

Before you format you may be better try a new graphics driver for yor card

murgle 21:08 27 May 04

Done it, no difference whatsoever.

woodchip 23:09 27 May 04

What you need to do first is save all the drivers on your hard drive for your hardware etc with WinDriver Expert from click here
free save the drivers to your other disc as you only need format C: when you have reinstalled run the drivers to restore them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…