I need educating about SATA drives

wobblymike 19:56 25 Jan 06

I inadvertently purchased a SATA drive when I actually wanted a standard IDE drive. rather than waste it, I thought I could fit it if I purchased a IDE to SATA adaptor. It is a board which plugs into the IDE slot has a SATA cable which plugs into the smaller socket on the drive and came with a lead with a molex plug on one end to connect to the PS and a 3 pin fan/floppy type plug on the other which connects to the adaptor board. There is another bigger connector on the drive (data I guess) what does that connect too and what with? As you will guess never used sata drives before.

wotbus@ 20:08 25 Jan 06

Fist thing is to study your mobo manual to see if it supports S-ATA.

wotbus@ 20:15 25 Jan 06

I just googled ide/sata and it turned up loads, not least of all this click here_(serial_ata)?c=1554038471
You may find what you want there. The thing to consider is this: S-ATA is much faster than IDE. By adapting it, S-ATA to IDE, you are taking a retrograde step in performance. OK, if that is not an issue then all is well. Good luck.

ed-0 20:20 25 Jan 06

The make and model of your current motherboard and also the same for the sata drive may give us some clues on the best way to proceed.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:42 25 Jan 06

Yes the interface is potentially faster. In practise SATA and IDE drives are much the same, or indeed identical, internally, except for the interface. In either case the drives are not fast enough to fully utilise the available bandwidth and any performance difference between similar IDE and SATA drives is only likely to show up when running benchmarks. You will not notice the difference in day-to-day use, unless you go for WD Raptors.

wobblymike 22:13 25 Jan 06

Guys thanks this is all very interesting but is not answering my question - to repeat

Iinadvertently purchased a SATA drive when I actually wanted a standard IDE drive. rather than waste it, I thought I could fit it if I purchased a IDE to SATA adaptor. It is a board which plugs into the IDE slot has a SATA cable which plugs into the smaller socket on the drive and came with a lead with a molex plug on one end to connect to the PS and a 3 pin fan/floppy type plug on the other which connects to the adaptor board. There is another bigger connector on the drive (data I guess) what does that connect too and what with?

ed-0 22:25 25 Jan 06

We cannot see what you are seeing. Like this? click here

or click here

this? click here

wobblymike 22:35 25 Jan 06

ed-0

no none of those - i don't know how to do these click here things or i would show you a picture
i'm beginning to think i've bought the wrong thing this is to use a sata drive in an ide pc - maybe i need a pci card to go with the adaptor

Zeppelyn 22:43 25 Jan 06

Why not buy a PCI Sata controller which attaches to empty PCI slot, this will come with the thin data cable you need and usually have 2 or 4 slots, some give extra IDE too. Not too expensive either.

wobblymike 22:49 25 Jan 06

Zeppelyn yep i was heading that way i'll give it a go

ed-0 22:56 25 Jan 06

Cables like

click here

click here

click here

do any of those look familiar?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…