i need to be rid of a partition....

alex-173803 23:18 03 May 05

how can i get rid of a partition in theroy blending all the info together? someone paritioned my harddrive and titled one xp and one as everything else, in case of any major malfunction the theory being i can be rid of everything else and have xp, but... im out of space on xp and its messing everything up. can i just get rid of the wall so its all together?

hugh-265156 00:02 04 May 05

the easiest way to do it without losing any data will cost you money im afraid. partition magic click here will allow you to merge the partitions easily.

or for free you could back up anything you cant afford to lose to cdr or dvd etc. and use fdisk to delete the partitions, create one large new partition and re install windows on it.

hugh-265156 00:16 04 May 05

ps. if you want to back up first and then use fdisk and do a full re install you will need a full copy of windows on cd to re install it, an oem recovery cd wont do. partition magic etc. is your only option in this case.

download a boot floppy (win98se oem works with xp just fine) from click here and send to a floppy disk.

after you have backed up everything place the floppy disk in your drive and restart the computer (check in your bios its set to boot from the floppy as the 'first boot device') start the computer 'without cdrom support' and type 'fdisk' (without the quotes) and press enter.

follow instructions click here to delete and create a new partition.

re install windows.

Chegs ® 00:21 04 May 05

You could always enlarge the XP partition(by reducing the other partitions size)This little app (Partition Resizer click here ) will allow you to do this without losing your data(unless you make a mistake,which PM has an "undo" button to rectify,PR doesn't)

alex-173803 13:59 04 May 05

ive got partition magic and partiton advisor but i cant get any of them to work.....

Ancient Learner 16:17 04 May 05

You need Partition Magic v 8.0 to be able to work in XP. If that is the version you have and it still doesn't work, I suggest that you uninstall it and then reboot and then reinstall it. Mine works faultlessly every time.

pj123 16:26 04 May 05

Or even Ranish free from: click here

Chegs ® 16:28 04 May 05

Do you get any errors? Please can we have it here if you do as "i cant get any of them to work..... " doesn't give us much to go on. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac