i keep logging off and reconnecting

amagoodfella 11:43 07 Apr 04

please can someone explain to me why my modem keeps logging me off and reconnecting at the same time. somehow i dont think its the modem, cos i have two hard-drive, one is windows98 and the other is windowsXP, the win98 drive works perfectly well, but the winXP drive keeps logging off and reconnecting, am using Radeon9200 graphics card. i have changed ports few times, still remains the same. the annoying part is i cant download anything cos it keeps logging off. any help or opinion will be highly appreciated....thank you.

Xevious 11:46 07 Apr 04

are you using the official modem driver for winXP or just the one that XP found?

vinnyT 13:20 07 Apr 04

Also, ensure that the modem is dialing the correct number, take a look at the watchdog page on the bbc website, as you may have inadvertantly downloaded a piece of software (malware) which changes your dialer so that it dials a premium rate phone number (some at £1.50 per minute). It was discussed on the above prog last night, though it has been happening for a long time (and people still get caught out).

Of course, this may not be your problem, but worth checking anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…