I just can't remove space from my hard drive

Boy Zone 21:56 28 Mar 03

Hi,
I use Win XP home addition, and have 2 hard drives one for system and the other as a slave, which is 80Gb.
I only have 80Mb od data on this drive, but the system tells me I only have 30Gb free space. I use this drive for video editing, and remove the files once they have been exported to DVD.
I have tried MS defrag and Nortons Speed disk, plus win disk doctor but still no luck. I guess I could fromat th disk again but I don't want to do this. Any suggestions?

powerless 21:59 28 Mar 03

Whats the file system in use on this drive?

Smuggler 22:01 28 Mar 03

just a suggestion, try emptying the recycle bin

woodchip 22:05 28 Mar 03

You need to take a close look at your drive in explorer for big files. Make shure you check root

User-312386 22:07 28 Mar 03

whats the full system specs as your BIOS may not support the HDD

madboy33

woodchip 22:07 28 Mar 03

PS also check your video editing program in explorer as these also have an habit of making backups

Pesala 00:00 29 Mar 03

This tool will soon show you which files are taking up the most space:

SequoiaView (554K) click here Colourful graphic display of your hard disk space usage, helps you quickly locate the folders or folders that are taking up the most space.

Pesala 00:00 29 Mar 03

This tool will soon show you which files are taking up the most space:

SequoiaView (554K) click here Colourful graphic display of your hard disk space usage, helps you quickly locate the folders or folders that are taking up the most space.

WaTcHiNg 00:34 29 Mar 03

I also have a setup which I use for video editing and I've noticed a few times that the disk space free indicator goes a bit iffy. I've no idea what causes it but large mpeg/avi files appear to cause the problems. Run scandisk and it will find lost files, correct all errors and then your disk space goes back to what it shoud be.

Failing that, on one occasion I couldn't get it back so formatted the disk and started again.

One final thing yu may want to try is rather than scandisk from within WinXp, force it to do it at boot up.
Open up a command prompt
type chkdsk c: /f /r where c: is the disk you have the problem with
It will ask you do you want to schedule this next time the PC reboots
Press Y then enter
Reboot the PC and it will fix the problem. This shouldn't take long with 80MB.

Boy Zone 10:40 29 Mar 03

Hi, Thanks for you imput.

I have ran the above program, also ran scan disk and check to see if Adobe leaves any backup files. But still no luck. I know that teher are NO system files on this slave disk, only data. I know my PC will support large Hard Drives as its a P4 2.53.
I just hope I don't have to keep formating every 2 weeks.
Would welcome anymore ideas.

Pesala 12:50 29 Mar 03

I can remember the days when my entire hard drive was only 30 Mbytes, so 30 Gbytes is not so bad.

It may just be that the free space is being misreported. Use the computer until you get a "Disk Full" error. Then is the time to worry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5