I have xp...bt have lost all sound! HELP PLZ

teresaj 23:38 22 Mar 08

Hi, I'm new to all this. I was given the computer last year and all was going great until I recently managed to wipe the sound off somehow. I have tried to restore, but the computer jst wouldnt let me do it. Does anyone know what I should do.....please dont be too technical as I'm still learning what to do and will only get myself into even more of a mess lol.
I have broadband...windows xp...dont know if you need to know that, but....
Anyway, your help would be very much appreciated...my son is not happy with me eeek!
Thanks in advance :)

brundle 23:55 22 Mar 08

Troubleshoot device driver problems; click here

Acx 00:11 23 Mar 08

Usually this is just a setting that has been changed.

Software - On the task bar (bottom right hand corner) you should see an icon of a speaker - double click that and see if any of the sliders are at the bottom (move them up to half way if they are) and check that none of the mute boxes have a tick in them (untick them if they have).

Hardware - Make sure all your speakers are connected properly, (plugged in to the mains, the back of the computer, that the volume is turn up on speakers themselves and that any power buttons on the speakers are on).

rdave13 00:37 23 Mar 08

Try system restore to a time before your problems.... click here

rdave13 00:47 23 Mar 08

Before you try sys. restore make sure you're disconnected from the net and disable all security software you have. That means firewall. Anti virus and any 'live' antispyware programs.
Pick a restore point before the problem.
Good luck.
If you have a Norton suit, check that EVERYTHING within is stopped. Or any other security suit.
Shivers at the thought of a security suit...freezeing at hell.:(

birdface 09:19 23 Mar 08

Have you had any recent up-dates for audio from Microsoft.If so try rolling back the driver to the previous one.It tells you how to do it in brundles click here.Or try .Control Panel.Administrative Tools.Services.Scroll down to Windows Audio and make sure it is set to Automatic.Or sounds and audio devices in control panel and make sure mute is not ticked.Or make sure that you have not pressed the mute button on your Keyboard.Or just make sure that you dont have the sound switched of on your speakers.

sharpamat 11:41 23 Mar 08
  teresaj 12:01 23 Mar 08

jst wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for ur help and advice. have only jst had a chance to get on the comp, so will try some of ur suggestions and let u know how i get on l8r. once again thanks loads...and happy easter to you all

teresaj 12:08 23 Mar 08

incidentally...the speaker icon has vanished! i did try all the obvious stuff like checking speakers etc, bt they were all connected correctly. the only thing i can think of is a webcam that i tried to install...it wouldnt work properly so i uninstalled it and thats when my problems seemed to begin lol....oh well, im gonna have an afternoon of fun trying to resolve this prob...speak 2 u all later

birdface 13:08 23 Mar 08

Control panel.Sound and audio devices.An tick place volume icon in taskbar.

brundle 13:42 23 Mar 08

Same steps as buteman just mentioned, but click the Audio tab; under Sound Playback, Default Device - change it if it mentions the webcam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now