I have Win7 32 getting Win7 64 and will run XP mode

Graphicool1 10:36 07 Jan 14

The following, to me, sounds complicated and posibily is. I'm hoping that to at least one of you it sounds easy, then you can make it easy for me to do.

My PC is (at present) running Win7 32 bit Home Premium. I was intending to also install Win7 64 bit Pro. Making it a Dual Boot. Someone on PCA said if I was running Win7-64 I could also run XP Mode, then I could add XP. So that would make a trio of Windows OS's on one PC.

I know from the past, when I was running Win7 32 and installed XP on a Virtual Machine (VM). That it wasn't an either or choice at boot. I just booted into Win7 as per normal and if I wanted to use XP I would just open the VM like opening a programme or another HD.

That's what made me think of the following scenario. I have legal keys for all three OS's. However, I believe that there is a way to run all three (legally) on just one key. That way would be to first install the Win7 Pro (so that I can utilize the extra Ram I will be adding. Then, using a Virtual Machine (VM) I could install the other two within the first. This would also give me the luxury of only having to boot once and use all three OS's?.

Question - is this possible and workable.

PS - The only problems that I can see may be...

(1) Perhaps I can't run more than one VM on the same machine, at the same time.

(2) Windows updates might be a problem for Win7 32, if Microsoft is only seeing Win7 Pro.

Ian in Northampton 11:01 07 Jan 14

Also, you may have misunderstood. I believe - I'm not sure - that it-s not the 64-bit of W7 that allows you to run in XP mode: it's a facility under W7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise. Plus: I don't believe you need an XP licence to run XP mode. Beyond that, you're not getting the full functionality of XP - merely a runtime environment that emulates XP for software (and not all software) that won't run on W7. And, as Jock1e rightly says - why on earth would you want both 32-bit and 64-bit?

bumpkin 11:25 07 Jan 14

Dual boot W7 64 pro and XP would be a lot simpler if it satisfies your requirements.

Ian in Northampton 11:44 07 Jan 14

bumpkin: that's what I would do (have done, in fact) - but the OP seems to want access to both operating systems simultaneously, without the need to reboot into one or the other.

Secret-Squirrel 13:29 07 Jan 14

Graphicool1, this is from the link I posted last week on your other thread:

"It [XP Mode] runs in a separate window on the Windows 7 desktop, much like a program, except it's a fully-functional, fully-licensed version of Windows XP."

..........which means you don't use your own copy of XP. All you need to do is to download Windows Virtual PC and XP Mode. Instructions are given in that link too.

"Dual boot W7 64 pro and XP would be a lot simpler if it satisfies your requirements."

From what I can gather, the OP only wants XP to run his very old "Microsoft Picture It!" program, and XP Mode, in principle, should handle that well. After installing the program it can then be launched via the usual Windows 7 "All Programs" link and it'll open in a conventional window as if it were running natively in Windows 7. That's got to be a lot less faff than having to restart and boot-up into a different OS.

Graphicool1 14:24 07 Jan 14

X7-250

"3d gfx may prove difficult."

Good point and this might be the reason that when I installed XP in VM on Win7 32, the programme I did it for didn't run as good as it did when I originally ran it in XP for real. So that's out then.

bumpkin

"Dual boot W7 64 pro and XP would be a lot simpler if it satisfies your requirements."

Well it doesn't and wouldn't 'satisfy my requirements'. You have read and contributed to my other thread...CLICK HERE...so you already know the answer to your suggestion.

Ian in Northampton

"you may have misunderstood."

This is what I was told on PCA a few weeks ago..."G'cool, if you installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit then you could use "XP Mode" to run your older software titles in a virtual machine."

Jock1e & Ian in Northampton

"Not sure why you would need to install the 32bit and 64bit version of W/7. Why not just install the 64bit version which covers both 32 and 64 bit versions."

Well my reasons for wanting to do this are irrelevant. But being as you both seem to want to know, it's quite simple really. I already have 7-32bit and have had for a few years, therefore I have loads of programmes and hardware installed. Many of which are 'get today for free programmes'. If I want to get them again it would mean paying for them. Why I want 7-64 bit is because I've recently started playing, MMORPG's. Even though I've upgraded my CPU and GPU it isn't fast enough and so I'll need a 64 bit OS to utilise the extra ram I intend getting. I only intend using the w7 64 bit OS for games. Although, as with everything our initial intentions can't be written in stone.

Secret-Squirrel 16:09 07 Jan 14

"...........which means running games or other software requiring 3d gfx may prove difficult."

The program the OP is hoping to run (Microsoft Picture It! 2.0) was released in 1997 - I don't think "3d gfx" had been invented then ;)

The XP Mode environment must be more than adequate for an older program with such meagre system requirements.

Graphicool1 16:13 07 Jan 14

Or could I upgrade my Win7 32 bit using the Win7 64 bit disk. Without losing my installations and Data etc. As you would do an 'in place' reinstall?

Graphicool1 10:28 08 Jan 14

No response to my last question?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced