I have a smoking canon!!!

CHRISBORTH 17:58 03 Jan 05

I have a canon i850 which is about 18 months old.
Last night when my son was printing off a walkthrough from the web it started sparking and smoking so he turned it off.
When I looked at it later I was unable to get it to print anything.
The computer still recognised the printer and it went through the motions of printing but nothing is printed on the paper.
After a while it started smoking from around the cartridge cradle again.
I've got a feeling that the thing is dead, but wondered if anyone else had similar problems.

Technotiger 18:14 03 Jan 05

Hi, 18months old - how long was the warranty? Might still be covered. Other than that, printers are so cheap these days it would be easier to buy new. But I would check warranty first.

Cheers.

end 18:42 03 Jan 05

and, if it is "playing up" like that, I presume that you have already disconnected it and put it to one side somewhere safe ( fire hazzard if nowt else; erm..your smoke detectors ARE working in your house I presume..yes, I am serious!!)

Totally-braindead 18:56 03 Jan 05

Sadly we live in a disposable age, its unlikely it would be economical to repair it and you would probably be better buying a new printer. However before you do this I personally would try contacting Canon, I'm not saying it would help but I would say this is a pretty unusual fault and if you contacted them stressing the printer is only 18 months old and the danger of fire and how unhappy you are they MAY either offer you a new printer or perhaps a discount off a replacement. They're under no obligation of course as it past the year warranty but they may do this out of good customer relations. Anyway its worth a try and they may want to see it themselves anyway to find out what happened.

octal 20:19 03 Jan 05

I think as Totally-braindead says speak to Canon, there maybe an inherent fault on all those models, so they might be interested in inspecting your model in case they have to send out a safety notice.

Your smoking Canon could become a loose Canon! I'm sorry I couldn't resist that :-) good luck, hope you get it sorted.

woodchip 20:26 03 Jan 05

If you do not get any satisfaction, try consumer protection as 12 months may not apply, it can be up to six years. As it's not proved satisfactory for the purpose

jack 20:32 03 Jan 05

Certainly worth contacting Canon about this one
an unusual fault is something the most big menufacturers like to get to grips with, it helps their R&D.
Be nice to them they may be even nicer back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…