i have pc with DVi and VGA can i switch between ?

jon_hoggy 21:39 07 Oct 09

It sounds simple, i have a pc with VGA and DVI output. I have a VGA>VGA cable (connected to 26" tv that i use as a monitor) and a DVI>VGA cable that i have connected to a bigger tv.

What i want to do is switch to the big tv if im watching a movie or streaming from web.

Ive plugged everything in but the big tv says 'no signal'. Can i set it up to use either as currently i have to alternate using the one VGA>VGA cable.

Any advise appreciated, cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:46 07 Oct 09

switch screens

right clickempty area of restop - proerties- settings

you should have two screens marked one and 2 click on 2 this should then give the output to the dvi connection on your card

jon_hoggy 21:50 07 Oct 09

Sorry i tried this and it didnt work.

The screen marked 2 is blurred, does this mean it is not picking up the big tv ?

jon_hoggy 21:56 07 Oct 09

Update..

i clicked 'extend my windows desktop to this monitor' and i have got my screensaver background on the big tv, but no icons or mouse pointer.

Hmmm.

jon_hoggy 12:33 09 Oct 09

Bump :(

jon_hoggy 08:29 12 Oct 09

bumpety bump bump

Woolwell 10:51 12 Oct 09

Not entirely sure of the answer to your problem but this will move it up the list again.

It would help to know which operating system (I suspect XP) and what your graphics card/onboard graphics is.

BRYNIT 11:06 12 Oct 09

When you extend the windows desktop you will have your icons on the main monitor and just a background picture on the other just drag the program over to the extended monitor.

If you just want to use one monitor/TV screen at a time just switch the monitor/TV on that you want to use before turning the computer it should only detect the one monitor/TV and use this as the main monitor. This may not work on some of the older cards.

Or when you have selected 'extend my windows desktop to this monitor' also put a tick against this is my main monitor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…