I have no sound - please help

avy 20:41 14 Jun 05

I have a sound card, speakers have been checked and are working. No speaker icon on desktop and all sound buttons in control panel are greyed out. Not sure if I have drivers since windows xp has been re installed. How can I find out what sound card I have and if I have the drivers that it needs to work? thanx

mattyc_92 20:43 14 Jun 05

They are probably built-into your motherboard, so put the installation disk that came with it into the system and see if there is an option to install the drivers for the sound card...

avy 20:49 14 Jun 05

should I just try and install all drivers it offers me? Thanx

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:02 14 Jun 05

Yes it will also have drivers for onboard graphics.

Load all the drivers you can always update them later.

wobblymike 09:00 15 Jun 05

avy

I have had this problem many times and can probably steer you through a fix if you still have the problem; has Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggestion above fixed it?

Diodorus Siculus 09:27 15 Jun 05

Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management
click here this will id your sound card and point you to relevant drivers.

Terry Brown 11:22 15 Jun 05

Normally XP will install a set of graphic and sound drivers for your system. Have you had a look to see if the Audio card is secure in the motherboard..i.e. firmly pressed down, or try removing it (Don't forget to EARTH yourself first--Wiyh the computer turned off and Unplugged- touth the metal chassis for approx 30 seconds to remove any static from yourself.)--Or remove the card, carefuly clean the terminals and re-insert.--Did the audio card work before you installed XP, as it might be duff.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…