I have lost my O/S disc!

How do I burn my O/S to a cd so that I have it if I need to format my computer or something goes wrong. I have the case and the serial number but no disc. Thanks

dez fowler 20:51 28 Apr 04

Just get a copy off someone and use your own serial number.

AcidBurn7uk 20:52 28 Apr 04

Your best bet is to use "cloning" software, such as symantec ghost. Althouh if you have lots of data on a particular partition in can take up loads of CD's and isn't 100% reliable when spanned accross multiple CD's!

Surely I can put it on one cd like I had.

carolineann 21:34 28 Apr 04

What O/S

Dan the Confused 21:47 28 Apr 04

I recently took a snapshot of my system as it is now using 'Backup MyPC' trial version. It worked fine but worked out as 1gb = 1 CD = 1 hour.

At least a backup is preferable to a clean install.

woodchip 21:55 28 Apr 04

You need to go and buy ether Drive Image or Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost and make a backup while it's running OK of your entire Hard Drive To CD's if you have a CDRW drive

TomJerry 22:04 28 Apr 04

You can have a image of everything on HDD, but you cannot produce the original OS CD. You can contact the PC original manufacturer to get a replacement OS CD at a cost. Or (as suggested by dez fowler) get a copy from someone else and use your own licence and CD-Key. Strictly speaking, you are not allow to make copy but you still own the licence even you lost the media. If your OS is a retail version, you maybe able to get a replacement from Microsoft, worth a try. If your OS is OEM version, you cannot ask Microsoft.

My O/S is XP Pro

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…