I have an idea

~PC Catastrophe~ 21:27 14 Dec 06

I have an idea for a tool, but I am not a programmer. I am pretty sure after scanning through the internet that no one has put out this idea. I was thinking of approaching a particular company that is offering a tool along the same lines of my idea. Is this a good idea? I am not really worried about the money aspect, because I would like it to be freeware, however I want credit for my idea. Any suggestions?

skidzy 21:33 14 Dec 06

If you dont try,you wont know.

Whats the worse that could happen...its either a yes or no !

Just do not get your hopes up.

mammak 21:44 14 Dec 06

Go for it and good luck.

Ps.if it's any good give us a look first :-)

Technotiger 21:57 14 Dec 06

Hi, Hmmm, if you offer it to a company which is already working on a similar idea, whoa boy!!
Company's are there to make money, I doubt they would take kindly to a similar tool being made as freeware.

Technotiger 22:07 14 Dec 06

Not trying to put a damper on things, but if it does have the potential to become a 'good thing',
and if your ideas are so similar, the company are hardly likely to allow you to have the credit for what they would see as their idea.

If I were you I would try to find an alternative way of developing the idea, separate from any other company, then you could claim the credit for the idea.

Good luck anyway.

€dstowe 22:08 14 Dec 06

Before you go much further, you should protect your idea in some way.

The simplest thing to do would be to clearly define the idea in writing and deposit that written document, sealed and dated, with a solicitor or with your bank.

This will prevent your idea being stolen by anyone you show it to.

You could, of course, go the whole way and apply for a patent but this could be VERY expensive, especially if nobody is interested in the idea. Only 3% of granted patents ever reach the marketplace and only about 30% of patent applications go for grant.

vinnyT 04:51 15 Dec 06

It may be worth asking the people at freesoftware magazine -click here, use their contact us button at the top. They may be able to put you in contact with someone who will at be able to help or even develope the project (they will prob require joint credit).

Also check out creative commons, "Creative Commons provides free tools that let authors, scientists, artists, and educators easily mark their creative work with the freedoms they want it to carry. You can use CC to change your copyright terms from "All Rights Reserved" to "Some Rights Reserved." -click here

Hope this helps.

~PC Catastrophe~ 15:09 15 Dec 06

The tool the other company has is also a freeware product. Someone else will defenitly have to take major credit for it, as I cannot make the tool, I just have the idea.

Thank you for your assistance. I feel much more prepared.

Technotiger 15:18 15 Dec 06

Thanks for the feedback, and good luck anyway.

vinnyT 09:58 16 Dec 06

Welcome, let us know if/when it comes out.

keithlik 11:46 16 Dec 06

You could do worse than write for advice to The Editor- PC Advisor!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…