I have a bug in the system...LITERALLY

Alexx_B 22:39 30 Jul 08

Hi, I have just noticed I have a midge Insect (tiny insect) underneath my laptop screen. Has this happened to anyone else before? I doubt I can safely remove the screen as laptop screens are flexible. What can be done if anything? Do I need to wait till the bug in my pc dies?

Giggle n' Bits 23:54 30 Jul 08

They are usually Thunder fly's, caused with the warm weather. Getting rid of it is difficult. Its a full laptop strip down. They get in through the very small vents.

The nearest guide for laptop strip down which I use many times is click here

It is based on a Toshiba strip down though. What brand and model of laptop is it ?

theDarkness 00:06 31 Jul 08

that does sound annoying, not sure how you would get about getting rid of that. If you are confident enough with opening the system up (unplug!) then you could give it a go if that one bug is annoying to see. they must be able to get in easily, is there some sort of small open ventilation allowing them to crawl in? I wouldnt fuss over it too much if its just the one insect-the council installed those long strip lights you get in schools for all housing up here a few yrs back, and looking up in the kitchen i can see more than a couple of beehives worth of bugs trapped up there :( lol not nice to look at

Alexx_B 14:30 31 Jul 08

Thank you both for your responses.

The brand and model is Dell inspiron 1720, but I don't feel confident about stripping it down to find the bug.

So far today it hasn't appeared, so maybe its crawled out, or died or is just asleep. It does get annoying but I don't think its annoying enough for me to take the machine apart.

Can it do any damage?

sinbads 15:04 31 Jul 08

You could try downloading "Bug Doctor" sorry couldn't resist it.

Seriously There's not a lot you can do, I don't think it would do any damage.

As bug are attracted to light you could lay your monitor face down switched off with a strong light on the back of the monitor. This assumes the bug is still alive and would hopefully be drawn to the light.

Stuartli 16:46 31 Jul 08

I used to have a bug for quite a while in the prism of my Ashai Pentax Spotmatic's viewfinder.

2drewej 17:00 31 Jul 08

ive also noticed a fee of them in my screen/ lcd tv... are deff annoying :(

2drewej 17:00 31 Jul 08

that should say 'a few :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…