I have been Hyjacked...:@(...PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 22:50 13 Aug 04

Oh wo is me my fellow PC using friends…I started to get a few open programmes that I did not understand, and was advised by folks on here to down load…So I did...Diskeeper lite, AIDA32, Spysweeper, Ad-Aware, Norman Antivirus, Registry Mechanic, Spy-bot, A2Strartcentre, CCleaner, and CNET Secure delivery and Unknown device identifier (This is very odd, as it appears to be a short grey oblong with a cats head zipping across it for a couple of minutes), (not all in one go I hasten to add)…Yet my problems seem to be escalating out of control. I am being overtaken by my homepage turning to blank, Unable to log into MSN inbox, as it keeps switching to serarch for home page. Spysweeper continuously asking me if I want to cjhange my home page to about.blank. I have run spy sweeper, and it appears to have quarantined a load of stuff, yet when I come to delete the ‘stuff’ it gets to 99% then freezes. I have run ad-Aware, but nothing changes…Like I say things are getting worse and worse, and I need to get this to you before the PC (Or me), finally crack up completely. I am running on windows 98, and out of my mind, but have faith in you all…

Xko 23:00 13 Aug 04

Dear oh dear! - What a mess indeed!

Well first off have you downloaded all of the updates for Spybot and Ad-Aware (note Ad Aware have just released AdAware-SE!).

Next get a small program call HiJackThis run it and post the logfile it produces if you can.

stalion 23:01 13 Aug 04

try a scan with this click here

Dan the Confused 23:02 13 Aug 04

Ad-aware SE click here

CWShredder click here

Update these and run them in safe mode. If this doesn't work you will need to use HijackThis.

Xko 23:07 13 Aug 04

Just don't start downloading this and that...you should only need Spybot & Adaware, they search for different things and both solve nearly all problems, if those two miss something (rarely) then get hijackthis.

Don't keep downloading lots of utils!

Many utilities have already been downloaded. Like I say I run spysweeper,and there is a load of stuff in quarantine, but it won't delete whatever is in there....I will run everything once, and get back to you. What I really need is a windows 98 CD, yet I have been told that the only way to get one that is not dodgy, and linked to the russian mafia, is to spend £250 on some disks. Have I been misinformed...I would so love to start the PC again from scratch but I have little clue hoew this is acheived without really screwing up....

Belatucadrus 23:54 13 Aug 04

Try Stalions link to anti virus toolkit, unlike the others it's a stand alone scanner so doesn't actually install to your PC, just download it, run and delete it when it's finished.
Though I will admit surprise that after Spybot, Adaware and A2 there's anything left.

jamiebrk 04:59 14 Aug 04

Sounds has though you have big problems It realy is no good downloading things unless you realy now what you are downloading. In my opion it sounds like you need to format your computer and start again, Adware6.0 is all you realy need to get rid of spyware.> hijacker is what it sayes it is bad program do not download it. If you are running windows 98 its very easy to format as well as xp if you need advise on how to format i can help you

Belatucadrus 09:25 14 Aug 04

Ref Hijack This click here it is a diagnostic tool, not a bad program, just one for advanced users. The log it produces should enable the more knowledgable forum members to pin down what's going on and prescribe a cure. For those of us less in the know the log produces much head scratching and confusion.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:23 14 Aug 04

about blank homepage is a symptom of coolweb search hijack, only way to clear is with CW Shredder click here

Sounds if you have "the works"

BAsic free security progs that work well together:-

Firewall:- ZoneAlarm click here

Anti Virus :-
AVG antivirus click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here

Keep these upto date and you will have no problems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…