I have 4 DVD-roms (according to belarc)

dagbladet 22:48 22 Oct 03

After I did a clean re-install of XP home, I was making coasters, so checked the properties of my rom drives to discover 1 x CDRW listed (correct), and 3 x DVD readers (I have one). I ran belarc which says the following:

CD-ROM Drive
H + H DVD-ROM DVD-41SD SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
H + H DVD-ROM DVD-41SD SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B [CD-ROM drive]
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B [CD-ROM drive]

I don't know which are the correct drives. Does it matter ? Can/should I do anything about it ?
Thanks in advance.
Dag

dagbladet 23:38 22 Oct 03

^

goonerbill 00:14 23 Oct 03

belarc is rubbish. use aida32, much better click here
personnal edition.

dagbladet 00:22 23 Oct 03

Rubbish it may be but Aida says the same, 1 cdrw AND 3 dvd-roms.

jimv7 08:43 23 Oct 03

I think that these progs are reading your cdrom as 1 then your dvd as 4, a dvd recorder/dvd reader/and a cdwriter and a cdrom separately.

If its ok in device manager ignore it.

The way most of these programmes run as I understand it is to axcess the windows data base/registry for information so the information displayed can be misleading and not to be taken as gospel.

dagbladet 09:35 23 Oct 03

Same in device manager.
What if I uninstalled them all and re-booted. Would XP then find the ones that really exist, or is that completely barking.

Stuartli 09:55 23 Oct 03

Why not just use Windows/XP's own System Information facility through Programs/Accessories/System Tools?

It lists every program, driver, hardware, programs etc in fully comprehensive detail...:-)

Meanwhile, why not sell three of the four DVD-ROM drives and make a bit of cash...:-))

dagbladet 10:06 23 Oct 03

Same, anyone want to buy one.

temp003 10:20 23 Oct 03

I think you should try your own suggestion, of going into Device Manager, uninstall all of the drives, restart and let XP re-detect and install them.

The first 2 entries are the suspect ones, as they refer to the same thing and are supposed to be SCSI devices, which is unusual.

dagbladet 10:29 23 Oct 03

temp003 I think you're right, those two SCSI devices show as 5 changes remaining with no region selected, the other shows region 2 with 4 remaining which ties in. What is SCSI anyway ?

alcudia 10:34 23 Oct 03

SCSI click here for all you need to know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…