I hate wires

Johnboy 01:55 21 Jun 05

And I love wireless which gives me a clean uncluttered desk.

But I still have to have my USB peripherals connected thru a USB dock which has a wire to the computer from the dock. OK it reduces the no. of wires out of the notebook, but I would still like to get rid of it.

I thought of the idea of a USC dock that connected to the computer by bluetooth; seemed like an ideal and obvious solution. Searched thru goolge but got nothing.

Does any one know if such a beastie has been produced???

p.s. for me nirvana will come when I can charge th ebattery on the notebook wirelessly!!!!!

Johnboy 01:57 21 Jun 05

Not USC, poor proof reading.

John-259217 04:46 21 Jun 05

I don`t think bluetooth (or any current wireless equipment for that matter) would have the bandwidth to support USB data speeds however, UWB (ultrawideband) wireless is on the drawing board and should provide possibilities for the future. click here for a news story. (I bet someone proves me wrong now :-})

Charging a notebook wirelessly? Well electric tooth brushes use a form of induction charging so I guess it`s possible, I have no idea what kinds of currents and equipment it would take. Maybe there`s an electronics engineer on the forum who could enlighten us?

John-259217 05:07 21 Jun 05

By the way I`m talking about USB 2.0 at 480Mbps, USB 1.1 at 12Mbps could be handled by WiFi I suppose but Bluetooth runs at 2Mbps max.

How much bandwidth a given device really needs is something I`m not sure of. I`d guess something like a webcam probably takes all it can get but I could be way off thinking a wireless connection would need to provide the full amount.

John-259217 05:16 21 Jun 05

And another link click here suggesting something moight be possible for wireless USB - sadly no products that I can find though!

(last from me tonight I promise lol)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced