I HATE Norton AV and want rid of it, please help

Wulfrune 17:03 06 Jun 05

I sadly own Norton av pro 05 & 04 and following a recent windows xp pro reinstall I tried to reinstall Norton AV pro 05.... it wouldn't even load for some strange reason, it kept getting about 19% of the way through before rolling over and dying. So not wanting to be with an AV I tried to reinstall Norton AV pro 04, this time I got all the way through, then I tried to enter the ID code.... it told me that I'd exceded the max number of installs.... if their prog wasn't so problematic I would have had to reinstall it SO many times ! rant rant rant. Anyway I decided to contact their laughably named "customer support"..... forget it, hours on hold on my phone bill to sort out their crap software, not likely. So I decided to go with Nod32.... I tried to uninstall Norton AV and guess what? yes... it would uninstall, not through the menu (there's no option to uninstall) and neither througth the ADD/REMOVE section of the control panel. This means that I can't put ANY AV software because it causes conflicts.... PLEASE HELP, how do I rid myself of this infernally crap piece of software?

Wulfrune 17:05 06 Jun 05

WOULD'NT not WOULD :) typos

kyprosman 17:23 06 Jun 05

You'll need this SymNRT click here= Andy

Brian-336451 17:27 06 Jun 05

click here=

Just follow the instructions

kyprosman 17:27 06 Jun 05

Further to above SymNRT, scroll down to section 2 and click on the SymNRT.exe .Andy

Ancient Learner 17:28 06 Jun 05

You have my sincere sympathies, kyprosman's link will do it.

bretsky 17:41 06 Jun 05

I would also use a good registry cleaner as you have had a couple of Norton products they will have left files all over the place.

bretsky ;0)

rawprawn 17:44 06 Jun 05

Try this one click here

jimmer409® 18:59 06 Jun 05

had the same problem, just did a search for all norton files, deleted, search all symantic, delete, look in control panel (live update etc.), program files, etc. after much searching finally got rid of the beast, had the same problems as you trying to reload, both on laptop and pc, in the end scrapped the lot

Wulfrune 19:22 06 Jun 05

I'd like to thank all who got back to me on this one, special thanks goes to kyprosman who's idea worked a treat :)

I no longer have Norton on my system and I rue the day that I ever put it on there in the first place.... it's been nothing but trouble. I'm now using NOD32 as a direct replacement to Norton AV AND some things you might care to consider..... there tech help line is a UK based number AND NOT a premium number either AND it scanned my system in 20 mins, some 1 hour and 28 mins FASTER than Norton AV. I also believe that they're one of the best.... not missing one single virus out in the wild.

NORTON? HA NOT ON if you ask me :)

once again thanks

Wulfrune 02:13 08 Jun 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…