Before I finally terminate my internet connection.

Bodi 08:56 04 Sep 03

and save myself the monthly fee (dial up)perhaps someone can confirm as to whether the fault is at my end or my ISP's.

During the day I am finding it increasingly difficult to connect to the internet with constant messages from that irritating robotic voice - "The service cannot be connected" - "The number you called is busy, please hang up and try again".

The attempt at connecting may be successful after 5 or 6 goes, or not until I've tried 20 or so times - or, in frustration, finally given up!

This has happened since installing XP Home Edition, but this may well be coincidence - as I now seem to have the problem on the Windows 98SE O/S which was fine before.

Anyone have any suggestions or shall I just put the internet behind me and save myself money?

moore_mat 09:00 04 Sep 03

Probably best to cut your losses & try another provider. You could try calling the number from a regular telephone to see if it connects. But I would guess it will do the same. The robotic voices are curtesy of your telephone provider, so unlikely to be related to any computer upgrade.

Bodi 09:00 04 Sep 03

Yesterday I actually managed 25mins 55 secs on the internet. It proved so difficult to get back on I gave up trying.

moore_mat 09:02 04 Sep 03

Incidentally - who is your ISP? There are sites that review the ISP's on connectivity, etc.

Bodi 09:07 04 Sep 03

at the moment it is PlusNet, before that Freeserve (similar problem, plus 2hr cut off), before that BT (loss of connection after anything from 10mins - 1hr) - I'm beginning to think that my money would probably be better spent elsewhere.

Thanks for your reply.

hssutton 09:17 04 Sep 03

Bodi Your problems are almost certainly ISP related. Recently Plusnet as been an absolute pain. To connect I've been using "Conection Keeper" set to "auto connect". then do something else until I eventually get a connection. Not an ideal situation, but i'm getting fed up of changing ISPs, they all seem to be much of a sameness. I have several friends who use AOL, they do not have any problems whatsoever. However this is one ISP I don't want to use.

-pops- 09:20 04 Sep 03

Is it a dastardly plot to get people on to broadband?

NEOSPHEAR 09:26 04 Sep 03

if you want to know what isp's are out there and what they offer check this out click here i hope that can help you out, as i know what it feels like to be in your situation

Bodi 09:27 04 Sep 03

Regarding AOL, which I had for a month's free trial some time back. Although connectivity was not a problem, I didn't like the way it seemed to take over my computer, and must agree, I don't particularly want to use it either.

Regarding PlusNet - I'm glad you confirmed that the fault doesn't lie at my end - thank you.

-pops- - I'm beginning to wonder!

I think I'll forego the pleasures and frustrations of the internet - as soon as I've ordered my TFT screen. As I previously stated, I think my money may be better spent elsewhere - and anyway, another house move seems to looming on the horizon.

NEOSPHEAR 09:28 04 Sep 03

by the way there is also a section where people leave comments on there isp's which also may be of help to you in deciding who to go with

Bodi 09:30 04 Sep 03

hssutton: Excuse my ignorance, but what is "Connection Keeper"? - please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…