I dont want Windows to configure wireless settings

Viv-208691 14:03 22 Dec 04

Hi, Im a little baffled by this one, I was wandering if someone could please help me.

I have a Belkin wireless router which works just fine in conjunction with a 2 year old Dell Latitute and brand new Sony Vaio laptops. I have manually configured the IP settings for each successfully and they receive a decent signal from the router. However, one difference is that on the Vaio i have to select 'Use Windows to configure my wireless settings' in order for the wireless signal to be detected and utilised on startup. On the Dell I leave this box unticked and it has the same effect. If I untick the box on the Vaio the laptop finds no signal on startup

The only difference is that the Dell uses a Dlink wireless network card and the Vaio has inbuilt Centrino.

Can anyone account for these rather odd circumstances; the wireless settings are identicle on the two laptops.

Thanks a lot.

Viv-208691 16:46 22 Dec 04

???
Can anybody help?

Modo 17:28 22 Dec 04

click here

If you can use the Intel ProSet it is pretty good. Windows XP default is a complete pain for It drives you mad by dropping connections through unnecessary scans. Even the advised fix of switching off the Service won't help on one of our computers.

Viv-208691 17:34 22 Dec 04

Im sorry, im a complete amateur. How exactly do i download the ProSet for my Centrino 2200BG chip?

Thanks a lot for your help.

FT.

Viv-208691 00:02 23 Dec 04

Managed to download ProSet and somehow it seems to be working seemlessly with my XP WLAN control. Thanks a lot Modo, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers again, and Merry Christmas.

FT.

Viv-208691 18:40 03 Feb 05

Hi, Im having some problems. I stupidly fiddled with my wireless!! Anywa, thats working again but ProSet no longer is. If I dont let Windows configure my wireless network settings then no one does!! How can I make it so that ProSet does it again? Thankyou.

Modo 13:02 04 Feb 05

I don't know if you can!!

I've got the same problem. The ProSet seems to be incompatible with some of the recent XP security updates.

Shame the ProSet is a great piece of software, hopefully it will get updated.

My current workaround is to use Net Stumbler and the Windows facility.

Viv-208691 20:38 05 Feb 05

Its OK, I sorted it, if you are interested in how I got it working again post here.

Cheers now.

Modo 08:42 06 Feb 05

Yes please let me know.

I did a hard disk reformat over Christmas and it wouldn't reinstall over the updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…