I dont want to share HDD

herc182 17:46 29 Nov 04

How can i block access to my new HDD to someone who has a profile on my computer? I dont want him saving stuff and using up my hardrive space. any way i can deny permission or make it invisible to him?

using windows xp sp2.

thanks

mattyc_92 17:48 29 Nov 04

What version of XP??? Pro or Home

herc182 18:19 29 Nov 04

sorry. windows xp home

Mikè 18:32 29 Nov 04

Xp Home has a disk quota facility built in, go to my computer right click the relevant disk and go to quota tab.

herc182 19:09 29 Nov 04

thanks. but this still allows him to access files on my other HDD. dont want to allow access full stop.

thank you

herc182 20:06 29 Nov 04

anyone?

thanks

mattyc_92 20:17 29 Nov 04

I don't know if this works on Home edition, I think it only works for pro.... but you can try....

Open ANY folder on your "Local Hard-Disk" and click onto the following... Tools->Folder Options->View (the Tab->uncheck the "Use Simple file sharing" option.

Now right-click your drive you want to stop people from using and click properties. There should be a new tab called "Security" or something like that. Just click onto this and change the permissions

NOTE: You MUST have the drive in NTFS format in order for the file sharing thing to work...

mattyc_92 20:20 29 Nov 04

If you are unable to do what I have suggested (the tick box in the View tab).... then click here and this will show you how to disable the simple file sharing in an alternative way

mattyc_92 20:39 29 Nov 04

You have to pay for the answer for the link that I have gave ya by signing up to their "Members Only" crap.....

Soz again

herc182 20:42 29 Nov 04

I am unable to do this since apparently "Simple File Sharing cannot be disabled on Windows XP Home Edition". is there no other way or program that will do this?

thanks

mattyc_92 20:54 29 Nov 04

There are som "Third-Party" programs that I have used in the past, but I can't remember what they are called (I have formatted my system since). Leave it with me and I will look for you now......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…